The following items of business, filed with the City Clerk under the Rules of the Council, will come before the Council at its regular meeting to be held on August 10, 2016, at 6:30 p.m. at Newport City Hall.
For links to any of the applications, visit here.
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE TO THE FLAG
CITIZEN’S FORUM: (Speakers must sign in with the City Clerk). The Citizen’s Forum period shall be no longer than fifteen minutes, and citizens may address the Council on one (1) subject only and for no longer than three (3) minutes. Issues to be discussed shall not include matters to be considered or discussed as part of the regular council agenda and must be related to substantive city business. No comments regarding personnel or job performance are allowed.
COUNCIL LIAISON UPDATES
1. CONSENT CALENDAR.
(THE CONSENT CALENDAR IS APPROVED IN ITS ENTIRETY, UNLESS THE COUNCIL REMOVES AN ITEM FOR DISCUSSION. ALL LICENSES ARE GRANTED SUBJECT TO COMPLIANCE WITH ORDINANCES #31-80 AND #98-40.)
- Minutes of the meeting held on May 25, 2016 (Approve)
- Special Event Licenses:
- Justine DeMetrick, d/b/a Newport Flea Market, Elks Lodge; August 13, 2016, 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Joseph Nocon, d/b/a Benefit Cookout for John Malone, Jr., Elks Lodge; August 27, 2016, 12:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Jackie Henderson, d/b/a Unity Block Party, Miantonomi Park; August 27, 2016, 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- IYRS School of Technology & Trades, d/b/a 37th Annual Newport Classic Yacht Regatta, 449 Thames Street; September 2-4, 2016 (Friday 5:00 p.m.to 10:00 p.m., Saturday 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., and Sunday 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.)
- Bike to the Beach, Inc., d/b/a Bike to the Beach New England, City Streets (see attached route); September 3, 2016, 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Island Moving Company, d/b/a Second Start to the Right: A Tale of Hook and Pan, Ft. Adams State Park and the Oliver Hazard Perry Tall Ship; September 7-10, 2016 (Wednesday 6:00-7:30 p.m., Thursday, 6:00-7:30 p.m., Friday 4:00-5:30 p.m. and 6:00-7:30 p.m., and Saturday 11:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., and 2:00-3:30 p.m.)
- Holiday Selling License, New, Newport Multiservicios, LLC, d/b/a Newport Multiservicios, 9 Farewell St.
- Horse and Carriage License, Daily, New Deal Horse & Carriage, September 17, 2016 from 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m., beginning at Channing Memorial Church to Memorial Blvd., ending at the Middletown line (route attached)
- Tattoo License, Renewal (business/operator), Tattoos by Captain Bret, Inc., d/b/a Tattoos by Captain Bret, Inc., 4 Collins Street, Unit 4A
- Waste Hauler License Renewals:
- Republic Services, 1080 Airport Rd., Fall River, MA
- Roll-A-Way Disposal, Inc., 86 Knight St., Warwick, RI
- Communication from Brian & Gail Maher, re: Request to hold a block party on Marin St., August 27, 2016 from 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. (Approve subject to details being worked out with City Administration)
- Communication from Bike Newport, re: Requesting City Manager to submit a Letter of Interest and subsequent application for “The Big Jump” Grant.
LICENSES & PERMITS
- Entertainment Licenses, Renewals, Class A (Indoor)
- La Forge Casino Restaurant, Inc., d/b/a La Forge Casino Restaurant, 186-188 Bellevue Avenue
- Thames Street International Yacht & Athletic Club, d/b/a Thames Street International Yacht & Athletic Club, 536 Thames Street
3. APPOINTMENTS TO BOARDS AND COMMISSIONS
Note: Vacancies currently or soon will exist on the following Boards and Commissions:
Accessibility Advisory Committee, Ad Hoc Committee on Waste Water and Storm Water Improvements, Affirmative Action Commission, Beach Commission, Charter Review Commission, Finance Review Committee, Harbor Walk Commission, Historic Cemetery Advisory Commission, Historic District Commission, Hospitality Commission, Tree and Open Space Commission, Zoning Board
- Amending Chapter 10.24, entitled “Parking Restrictions on Specific Streets,” to add that parking be prohibited on both sides of Parker Avenue (between Weld Court and Sylvan Street) and both sides of Clay Street (First Reading).
COMMUNICATIONS FROM THE CITY MANAGER
- Action Item #5563/16 RE: Award of Bid – Sidewalk Improvement Program 2016 (w/accompanying resolution)-
- Action Item # 5564/16 RE: Award of Bid – Lawton Valley Lead Remediation Project (w/accompanying resolution)
- Action Item # 5565/16 RE: Change Order #1 – Design/Build/Operate Service Contract for Water Pollution Control System (w/accompanying resolution)
- Action Item # 5566/16 RE: 2016 Port Security Grant Award (w/accompanying resolution)
Laura C. Swistak
August 3, 2016