The 200-foot SSV Oliver Hazard Perry will be open for tours on Saturday, July 23rd, 2016 from 10 a.m. – 1 p.m. at Fort Adams State Park during the Newport Folk Festival. Stop by on your way into the festival to check out the country’s newest Tall Ship andRhode Island’s Official Sailing Education Vessel.
There is no charge to visit the ship, and you do not need a Folk Festival ticket to reach the ship.
Oliver Hazard Perry Rhode Island is a non-profit organization based in Newport, R.I. that incorporates comprehensive classroom education into an operational, at-sea experience to enrich independent and teamwork capabilities of young adults and the young-at-heart. The building of SSV Oliver Hazard Perry has been a $16 million economic development project, which has supported hundreds of jobs in the Rhode Island marine industry
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- History in the Making: Newport Jazz and the Civil Rights Movement
- Handel and Haydn Society to perform Beethoven’s Symphony No. 9, “Ode to Joy,” in free concert at the DCR Hatch Shell
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 2 Recap and Photos (July 31)
- What’sUpNewp Interview: Christian McBride, Artistic Director of Newport Jazz
- Deer Tick releases new album “Live at Fort Adams”
- Rhode Island Foundation offering $25,000 grants to local writers
- Obituary: Ann-Marie Nevitt
- Open Studios and Drive-By Art returns to Jamestown on August 7
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 1 Recap and Photos (July 30)
- Governor McKee signs Rhode Island African Heritage and History Curriculum Bill