There are several reports coming in at this hour that Donald Trump “is seriously considering a retired general” for his Vice President running mate, the person being considered has very strong ties to Rhode Island.
According to the Washington Post & MSN, Trump is considering tapping Retired Lt. Gen. Michael T. Flynn for the position.
“After weeks of focusing on a group of current and former elected officials in his search for a running mate, Donald Trump is increasingly intrigued by the idea of tapping retired Lt. Gen. Michael T. Flynn in order to project strength and know-how on national security, according to four people familiar with the vetting process.
Flynn, 57, a registered Democrat but fierce critic of President Obama, previously ran the Defense Intelligence Agency.”
Flynn was born in Middletown, Rhode Island in 1959 and is one of nine children of Helen and Charles Flynn. Growing up, Flynn worked at local restaurants and as a lifeguard, he graduated Middletown High School in 1977.
Flynn graduated from the University of Rhode Island with a Bachelor of Science degree in Management Science in 1981, he was commissioned a distinguished military graduate through Reserve Officers’ Training Corps.
Flynn is also a graduate of the Military Intelligence Officer Basic Course, Military Intelligence Officer Advanced Course, Army Command and General Staff College, the School of Advanced Military Studies, and Naval War College. He earned a Master of Business Administration in Telecommunications from Golden Gate University, a Master of Military Art and Science from the United States Army Command and General Staff College, a Master of Arts in National Security and Strategic Studies from the Naval War College and an honorary doctorate from the Institute of World Politics in Washington, DC.
Flynn’s formal vetting by the Trump campaign was first reported by the New York Post. In an interview with the newspaper.
Read the full story – A curveball in Trump’s Veep search: He’s seriously considering a retired general.
What Others Are Saying:
- Michael Flynn, the retired general on Donald Trump’s VP shortlist, explained (Vox)
- In Disastrous Move Trump Reassures He Isn’t A Dictator By Mulling Retired General For VP (Politicus USA)
- Trump Considers Retired General From RI as Running Mate (NECN)
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Vaccinate the Ocean State: Mini-grants available to nonprofits, organizations to support vaccine promotion
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island (Updated)
- What’s Up Interview: Ben Folds coming to The Vets Friday, Sept. 24
- Legislation signed that makes civics education proficiency a requirement for all public high school graduates
- Sour Grapes – A Comic Strip by Tim Jones: September 21
- On This Day In History – September 21: Hurricane of ’38 hits Newport
- On This Day In History – September 21 – 22, 1963: Video of President John F. Kennedy and family at Hammersmith Farm
- Ticket Giveaway – Walden playing at Narragansett Brewery Friday, Sept. 24
- “This American Life” contributor David Sedaris coming to Jane Pickens Theater Sept. 28-29
- RI Arts and Humanities Councils award nearly $1 million in grants with federal funds to 121 culture, humanities, arts nonprofits