What’s Up Newp’s content is free to read, and always will be, but we rely on your support to keep it that way.
It takes just 30 seconds and you can choose the amount.
We first met Thatcher Harrison at the 2016 Art’s and Cultural Alliance of Newport County Annual Meeting earlier this year. The 14-year-old was among the entertainment for the evening at the Newport Art Museum, his performance left us a bit speechless.
Thatcher is returning to Newport very soon to participate in Newport BridgeFest, we caught up with him before his performance on Bowen’s Wharf…
RB: What performance/concert has most inspired you in your life?
RB: Who is the greatest musical influence in your life?
TH: “Because I perform many different genres of music (classical, jazz, fingerstyle, two-handed tapping, two-guitar tapping, etc), I have many musical influences. However, the three guitarists who have influenced me the most are Al Di Meola, Tommy Emmanuel, and Antoine Dufour. The guitar pyrotechnics of Di Meola, the versatility of Emmanuel, and the precision of Dufour influence my own guitar playing more than any other musicians.”
Catch Thatcher down on Bowen’s Wharf during Newport BridgeFest;
Wednesday, July 27 – BUSKING AT BOWENS
6:00 – 9:00 pm | FREE
at Bowen’s Wharf
Outdoor live music on the waterfront – featuring Thatcher Harrison
About Newport BridgeFest
Newport Festivals Foundation will continue the tradition of Newport Bridgefest in 2016, over the four days the festival will aim to celebrate folk, jazz, and the musical heritage of Newport.
Newport BridgeFest was founded in 2009 by the Arts & Cultural Alliance of Newport County to “bridge” the days between the Newport Folk and Jazz Festivals. Earlier this year, the Arts & Cultural Alliance of Newport County transferred the rights to the event to the Newport Festival Foundation.
Bridgefest 2016 will take place in and around Newport from July 25th to July 28th, and will include free and paid concerts, music related films, educational programs and other music related activities. In addition, Newport Festivals Foundation, Inc, will produce a free family concert at Fort Adams on Wednesday, July 27, 2016. For more information, visit www.newportbridgefest.com.
More From What’s Up Newp
- Obituary: Claire E. (Randall) Curtis
- Obituary: Marianne F. (Fitzgerald) Marley
- Forum Lodge awards scholarships to two Aquidneck Island high school graduates
- Robert Berry, rock musician and former member of Keith Emerson’s “3” joins What’s Up Newp for a live virtual conversation on Monday
- Sax greats Abate and Moretti release new albums in 2021
- Easton’s Beach reopens for swimming
- Obituary: Anna Maria DeSousa
- Obituary: Manuel G. Moitoza, III
- What’s Up at the Movies: We Review “In the Heights”
- The Gamm Theatre Announces Auditions for Season 37 (2021-2022)
- Brian C. Jones: In case of emergency, don’t call me
- RIDOH and DEM are advising people to avoid contact with Almy Pond due to a blue-green algae
- Record Store Day returns Saturday, June 12th
- Newport Polo will host its annual Newport Cup on Saturday
- DEM hosting virtual workshop on draft water quality restoration study for Newport water supply reservoirs