Sheila J. (Dyer) Ventura, 74 of Middletown passed away peacefully at home on Thursday, July 21, 2016. She was the wife of John L. Ventura.
Sheila grew up in the Newport’s Fifth Ward, a graduate of St. Augustin Grammar School and St. Catherine’s Academy of Newport. Prior to her marriage, Sheila worked for the Naval Department of Defense at the Pentagon and for many years she worked as a secretary at the Newport Naval Base.
Sheila and her husband John lived in New Bedford, MA from 1964 to 1992, moving back to the Newport area in 1992. She was a parishioner of St. Augustin Church and a member of Gooseberry Beach.
Besides her husband, John, she leaves her son, John Ventura and longtime companion, Nota Znika of Newport, her daughter, Elizabeth Ventura and husband, John Dorsey of Boston and her beloved dog, Teddi. She was the sister of the late Peter J. Dyer
A Mass of Christian Burial will be held Monday, July 25, 2016 at 10 am at St. Augustin Church, Carroll Ave, Newport. Burial at St. Columba Cemetery in Middletown.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- 31 open houses happening this weekend (July 30 – August 1)
- A1 Roofing & Construction teams up with FabNewport to further FabGolf program for local youth
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now