Dorothy Carr Quinn, of Newport passed away peacefully on Sunday, July 3, 2016 at Newport Hospital. A native Newporter she was born on June 5, 1928 and was the daughter of Raymond H. Carr Sr. and Irene Diggles Carr. She was predeceased by her three older brothers, Robert F. Carr, Raymond H, Carr Jr. and Joseph E. Carr and also by two of her five children, Christopher J. Quinn and Matthew J. Quinn.
Dorothy attended St. Catherine’s in Newport and was a life long parishioner of St. Mary’s Church. A much-travelled military wife she later happily settled back in Newport. Dee Dee was a devoted mother and grandmother and an avid sports fan of the Boston Red Sox, New England Patriots and Celtic teams. She loved to read mysteries and legal thrillers and do crosswords. In earlier years she was an accomplished amateur bowler winning several trophies.
Calling hours will be 8:30 to 9:30 am on Friday, July 8 at O’Neill-Hayes Funeral Home, 465 Spring St, Newport followed by a 10 am funeral mass at St. Mary’s Church, Spring St., Newport followed by burial at St. Columba Cemetery, 465 Brown’s Lane, Middletown.
In lieu of flowers, donations may be sent in her memory to the Newport Hospital Foundation, 11 Friendship St., Newport, RI 02840.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13
- Guest View – Sean O’Connor: Importance of Pride all year
- Home on Chastellux Avenue in Newport sells for $7.1 million
- Frank Prosnitz: My Jazz Festival’s Top Picks
- Gerry Goldstein: Word horseplay draws some pun-gent responses