Clyde, Kip, Kippy Cofield passed away in Newport Hospital on July 21, 201, with his devoted family by his side. Clyde was born September 18, 1936, he was the son of Hoyt and Jackie Cofield – long time residents of Green End Avenue, Middletown, RI.
Kip returned to Newport where he proudly joined the Middletown Police Department – Kip attained the rank of Lt. – During his 24 years on the department Kip attended several command schools and FBI Fire Arms School where he trained to become a Fire Arms Instructor, Kip was also a motorcycle police office for many years. During his years on the MPD Kip attended Salve Regina College and earned his BS in Criminal Justice.
During his years as a police officer Kip received many commendations – notably one for an arrest of an armed man in the Norman Bird Sanctuary, after being lowered from a helicopter. Kip retired from the Middletown Police Dept. in 1984 and went on the have a second career with his wife Sofi – “Rent A Husband” – a repair and remodeling business. His Rent A Husband truck caused quite a sensation when he first started driving it to jobs all over the island.
Kip was married to his beloved wife Sofi Janaros Cofield for 54 years, he was the proud father of Michael H. Cofield, of NYC, and Steven C. Cofield and his wife Patti of Portsmouth, RI and adoring Pa Pa of Taylor N. Cofield, and “Mr. Kip” to Christopher and Holly Taber. He is survived by a sister, Jean Cofield La Prevotte of Virginia Beach, VA, his good friend and brother and sister-in-law Peter and Diane Janaros, sister and brother-in -law Tina Janaros Fowler and Frank R. Fowler also his “little sister” sister-in-law, Joanne Janaros Cadenazzi.
Kip will also be very much missed by several heart broken nieces and nephews.
Sports were always a fun part of Kip’s life – Racquet Ball, Golf, Softball, camping and fishing, but most of all he loved baseball, and he played for many years on several local teams. While he was in the Air Force he played on a championship travel team.
Calling hours will be held on Monday, July 25, 2016 from 4-7pm in Memorial Funeral Home, 375 Broadway, Newport, RI, with a short prayer service at 6pm.
His funeral will be held on Tuesday, July 26, 2016 at 10am in St. Spryidon Greek Orthodox Church, Thames Street, Newport, RI. Burial will follow in Middletown Cemetery, Wyatt and Turner Road, Middletown.
In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the St. Spyridon Greek Orthodox Church Soup Kitchen or to the George Donnelly Sunset League Fund.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Newport Folk 2021 – The final day of “Folk On” (July 28)
- Obituary: Joanne Donnelly Maher
- Obituary: Ralph E. Morgan
- Newport Mansions Wine & Food Festival returns September 17 – 19
- Governor McKee, RIDE, and RIDOH release updated PreK-12 Health and Safety Guidance for the 2021-2022 School Year
- Newport to require masks in city-owned buildings beginning August 2
- FirstWorks Live – Roger Williams Park free Summer Concert Series continues Sunday 8-1 with Voces de Los Andes
- Newport Folk 2021 – “Folk On” Part 2 Day 2 (Tuesday, July 27)
- Obituary: Rayfield Drowne Jr.
- Redwood Library & Athenaeum to house a portion of the Dr. Patrick T. Conley Library