Barbara J. (Orkins) Card died on Wednesday, July 6, 2016 at Rhode Island Hospital at the age of 89. She was married to the late Norman G. Card, the love of her life, for 50 years. She is survived by her daughter, Catherine, son-in-law William, and grandchildren, Michael and Sandra Hey.
The daughter of the late Rodger M. and Georgianna H. (Grant) Orkins, she was the sister of Lawrence W. Orkins of CT and the late Rodger M. Orkins, Jr. of FL. She was aunt to one niece and five nephews.
She was a member of First Presbyterian Church in Newport, where she served as a Deaconess for six years and was a member of Deborah Circle. Barbara was a talented seamstress, needle worker and crafter, and as a member of the Aquidneck Craft Association, participated in craft fairs in support of local scholarships. She enjoyed cooking, raising house plants and music. A cat lover, Barbara also served as a Pawswatch volunteer.
Barbara loved her family and was a devoted wife, mother and grandmother. She also doted on her cat, Lila.
Her memorial service will be held on Saturday, July 9, 2016 at 11:00 a.m. in First Presbyterian Church, Everett Street and Broadway, Newport, RI.
Burial was private.
The Latest From WUN
- New behavioral health pharmacy in EBCAP to serve those with mental health and addiction issues
- Newport Art Museum to present “Newport: The City as a Work of Art” lecture series with John R. Tschirch
- Six Picks: The best in live music this weekend – Sarah Potenza, Elvis Costello and more
- Obituary: Julian C. Clinton
- “Six Picks” Pumpkin Ale – It’s the time of the season