The following items of business, filed with the City Clerk under the Rules of the Council, will come before the Council at its regular meeting to be held on July 13, 2016, at 6:30 p.m. at Newport City Hall.
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE TO THE FLAG
CITIZEN’S FORUM: (Speakers must sign in with the City Clerk). The Citizen’s Forum period shall be no longer than fifteen minutes, and citizens may address the Council on one subject only and for no longer than three minutes. Issues to be discussed shall not include matters to be considered or discussed as part of the regular council agenda and must be related to substantive city business. No comments regarding personnel or job performance are allowed.
COUNCIL LIAISON UPDATES
- CONSENT CALENDAR. (THE CONSENT CALENDAR IS APPROVED IN ITS ENTIRETY UNLESS THE COUNCIL REMOVES AN ITEM FOR DISCUSSION. ALL LICENSES ARE GRANTED SUBJECT TO COMPLIANCE WITH ORDINANCES #31-80 AND #98-40.)
- Minutes of the meetings held June 8, 2016 and June 22, 2016 (Approve)
- Special Event Licenses:
- Newport Film, Inc., d/b/a newportFILM OUTDOORS, Newport Shipyard; July 14, 2016 from 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
- Japan America Society, d/b/a Black Ships Festival/Sister City Events 2016:
- Opening Ceremonies, Touro Park; July 15 from 10:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and July 16 from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Black Ships Festival, Long Wharf; July 16 from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Sister City Gala, Marble House; July 16 from 6:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m.
- Taiko Drum Festival, Cardines Field; July 17 from 12:00 p.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- Newport Lodge of Elks, d/b/a Officer & Elk of the Year Cookout, Elks Lodge; July 17, 2016 from 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Miantonomi Park Commission, d/b/a Band Concert, Newport Community Band, Miantonomi Park, July 18, 2016 from 6:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- Request from Roy D. Lauth to waive the license fee
- Colbea Enterprises, LLC, d/b/a Seasons Corner Market, Grand Opening/Customer Appreciation Days, 560 Thames Street, July 22-23, 2016, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Child & Family Services, d/b/a Benefit Gala Event – An Enchanted Evening, Rough Point, 680 Bellevue Ave.; August 6, 2016 from 5:30 p.m. to 11:00 p.m.
- St. Peter’s Lutheran Church, d/b/a Church & Community Yard Sale, St. Peter’s Lutheran Church; August 6, 2016 from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. (Rain date- August 13, 2016)
- Roy D. Lauth, d/b/a Bailey T’s Resortwear, Anniversary Band Concert, Newport Community Band, Long Wharf Mall, August 8, 2016 from 6:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- Seamen’s Church Institute, d/b/a Rock the Docks, Newport Shipyard; August 14, 2016 from 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
- Newport Brokerage Boat Show, d/b/a Newport Brokerage Boat Show, Newport Shipyard; September 15, 16 & 17, 2016 from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. and September 18, 2016 from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- RICARES, d/b/a Rally 4 Recovery, King Park; September 24, 2016 from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Communication from St. Michael’s County Day School, re: Request to change the date of the previously approved Navy Band Northeast from July 27, 2016 to August 9, 2016
- Communication from newportFilm, re: Request to change locations for two previously approved screenings on July 18, 2016 and August 28, 2016
- Holiday Selling License, Renewals:
- SSND, Inc., d/b/a The Ships Store and Rigging, 1A Bowen’s Landing
- Ash Mart, Inc., d/b/a Ash Mart, 2 Carroll Avenue
- Alex and Ani, LLC, d/b/a Alex and Ani, 1 Bowen’s Wharf
- Holiday Selling License, New, Tiffany Peay Jewelry, LTD., d/b/a/ Tiffany Peay Jewelry, 152 Mill St.
- Holiday Selling License, New, Martha Jackson, d/b/a Restored by Design, 8 Franklin Street, Unit 2
- Communication from Darlen Hutten-Czapski, re: Request to hold the 3rdannual block party on Weatherly Avenue on August 6, 2016 from 3:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. (Approve subject to details being worked out with City administration)
- Communication from Colleen Burns Jermain, re: Requesting permission to hang 2’ x 7’ banners in various Newport parks promoting the Summer Meals Program (Approve subject to details being worked out with City administration)
LICENSES & PERMITS
- Second-hand License, New, Newport Outfitters, Inc., d/b/a Ten Speed Spokes, 18 Elm Street (Hearing)
- Second-hand License, New, Martha Jackson, d/b/a Restored by Design, 8 Franklin Street, Unit 2 (Hearing)
- Sidewalk Café, New, Raw Power Juice Bar and Kitchen, LLC, d/b/a Raw Power Juice Bar, 6 Broadway
- Sidewalk Café, New, Leo’s Market, LLC, d/b/a Leo’s Market, LLC, 162 Broadway
- Victualing License, New, Washington Square Bistro, LLC d/b/a Washington Square Bistro, 28-30 Washington Square
COMMUNICATIONS AND PETITIONS
- Communication from Newport Prevention Coalition, re: Requesting permission to fund a 20% local match for the Student Assistance Position in the Newport School System (with accompanying resolution) – Continued from June 22, 2016
- APPOINTMENTS TO BOARDS AND COMMISSIONS
AIPC – Reappointment of Peter Janaros and Hilary Stevens
Note: Vacancies currently or soon will exist on the following Boards and Commissions:
Accessibility Advisory Committee, Ad Hoc Committee on Waste Water and Storm Water Improvements, Affirmative Action Commission, Beach Commission, Charter Review Commission, Finance Review Committee, Harbor Walk Commission, Historic Cemetery Advisory Commission, Historic District Commission, Hospitality Commission, Tree and Open Space Commission, Zoning Board
- Commemorating the 226thAnniversary Celebration of “Hope Day: Birth of Our Nation” – L. Ceglie, M. Camacho
- Amending Chapter 8 of the Codified Ordinances, entitled, “Health and Safety,” Section 8.12.060, entitled, “Exceptions” (First Reading)
- 10. Amending Chapter12.015 of the Codified Ordinances, entitled, “CSO Fixed Charge” (Second Reading)
COMMUNICATIONS FROM THE CITY MANAGER
ADJOURN AS COUNCIL AND CONVENE AS BOARD OF LICENSE COMMISSIONERS
BOARD OF LICENSE COMMISSIONERS
- Class F-1 Daily Liquor License, Seamen’s Church Institute, d/b/a Rock the Docks; Newport Shipyard, August 14, 2016 from 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
LICENSES AND PERMITS
- Application of Yesterday’s Inc., d/b/a Yesterday’s Newport, 28-30 Washington Square, holder of a Class BV alcoholic beverage license to transfer ownership to Washington Square Bistro, LLC (Larry Goldstein, 100 % membership), d/b/a Washington Square Bistro for the same premises (Hearing)
Bill of Indebtedness:
McLaughlin & Moran – $703.51