Discover the best, biggest and most popular events happening in and around Newport, Rhode Island this July!
For a full listing of events, visit our Events Calendar.
1. Newport Independence Day Festivities – July 4, 2016: Enjoy a wide variety of events throughout Newport from 9am to 1:30pm including a reading of the Declaration of Independence, a bike parade and 21 Gun Cannon Salute. At 9:15pm, sit back and enjoy fireworks over Newport Harbor. More info: www.whatsupnewp.com/newport-county-4th-july-fireworks-celebrations/
2. newportFILM Outdoor Series – July 7, 14, 21 & 28, 2016: On Thursdays throughout July, watch al fresco documentary films in some of Newport’s most stunning locations. Films roll at sunset. More info: www.newportfilm.com
3. 48th Annual Newport Music Festival – July 8 – 24, 2016: Newport Music Festival continues the tradition of presenting unique chamber music programs, American debuts, world-class artists and gala special events in the Gilded Age summer cottages of Newport, Rhode Island. Enjoy 60 concerts over 17 days at 13 venues. More info: www.newportmusic.org
4. International Tennis Hall Of Fame Tennis Championships – July 9 – 17, 2016: Contested on the historic grass tennis courts of the International Tennis Hall of Fame, the tournament is the only event played on grass courts outside of Europe, and it offers the only opportunity to see professional men’s tennis in the Northeast prior to the US Open. More info: www.halloffametennischampionships.com
5. 2016 Newport Kite Festival – July 9 – 10, 2016: The spray of colors across the sky along Ocean Drive in July at the annual kite festival is a sight to behold. The air is filled with the sounds of snapping nylon and kite strings as the kites whip their tails in the sky and the ocean breeze washes your face. There is nothing more or less to this jubilee other than the pure joy of flying a kite. Admission is free. More info: www.newportkitefestival.com
6. New York Yacht Club Race Week – July 9 – 16, 2016: More than 100 yachts from 25 to 100 feet long are expected to compete on Rhode Island Sound and in Narragansett Bay. This biennial event is one of the biggest regattas of the summer for top skippers and their crews. More info: www.nyyc.org
7. Great Friends Dance Festival – July 14 – 23, 2016: Island Moving Company and the Newport Historical Society presents this wonderful opportunity to see great dance and have a great time at the Great Friends Dance Festival! The festival runs from July 14-July 23rd at 7:30 pm and there are unique performances every evening. This year IMC welcomes Owen/Cox Dance from Kansas City, MO as our 2016 Residence Exchange Company. More info: www.islandmovingco.org
8. Black Ships Festival – July 15 – 17,2016: The Festival is a family-oriented event, incorporating events for all ages. The Festival provides an opportunity to see, sample, and experience authentic Japanese arts, cuisine, performances, and traditions. Signature events include Martial Arts, a Tea Ceremony, the Taiko Drum Festival, Sushi & Sake Sail, Black Ships Gala and Japanese workshops and demonstrations. More info: www.newportevents.com
9. Annual Craft Brew Races Newport – July 16, 2016: A fun walk/run 5k in Newport followed by a craft beer festival with more than 30 local craft breweries. More info: www.craftbrewraces.com
10. Annual Newport Folk Festival – July 22 – 24, 2016: The sold-out Newport Folk Festival, founded by George Wein in 1959, takes place on the grounds at Fort Adams State Park and features foyr stages of music, food, crafts and a number of displays. More info: www.newportfolk.org
11. 8th Annual Newport Bridgefest – July 25 – 28, 2016: The Newport BridgeFest is a local, live music and music education festival that “bridges” the gap between the prestigious Newport Folk and Jazz Festivals for a continuous 10 days of music in our community. More info: www.newportbridgefest.com
12. 62nd Newport Jazz Festival – July 29 – 31, 2016: The festival features three full days of jazz on four unique stages at Fort Adams, also it includes a night of beautiful jazz music at the International Tennis Hall of Fame. More info: www.newportjazzfest.org