Oliver Hazard Perry Rhode Island will host its 2016 fund-raising party at Newport Shipyard on Friday, July 1.
The party begins at 6:00 p.m. with cocktails, raw bar and passed hors d’oeuvres, allowing guests to mingle dockside before touring Rhode Island’s Official Sailing Vessel, the 200-foot SSV Oliver Hazard Perry, which also is the largest civilian training vessel in America and the first ocean going full-rigged ship to be built in the U.S.A. in over 100 years. After spending time with colleagues and friends and viewing the silent auction, guests will be seated for dinner and dessert followed by dancing until 11:00 p.m.
Tickets start at $200 and typically sell out. They cannot be purchased at the door. For more information on tickets and corporate sponsorship go to http://www.ohpri.org/events or email Kelly@ohpri.org.
Oliver Hazard Perry Rhode Island (OHPRI) is the non-profit organization behind SSV Oliver Hazard Perry, a 200-foot, three-masted, square rigged tall ship, designated as Rhode Island’s Official Sailing Education Vessel. As an education platform, SSV Oliver Hazard Perry will allow students to study a wide range of subjects onboard while sailing waters in New England and the Canadian Maritimes during summer months, and Florida and Caribbean waters during winter months.
Above decks SSV Oliver Hazard Perry looks like a historical ship; however, she is in fact a fully modern and technologically sophisticated steel-hulled ship. Below decks is a modern galley and Great Cabin (where captains, in days of yore, entertained); high-end navigation and communication systems; a state-of-the-art science lab, and classroom spaces outfitted with monitors displaying real-time navigation and meteorological data.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Live Music Society announces Cat Henry as Executive Director
- Rep. Ruggiero to lead CRMC study commission
- Norman Bird Sanctuary welcomes fall with harvest season of events
- Clear the Shelters: Potter League to host pet adoption drive on Saturday
- RI Foundation honors Wickford lawyer with highest honor
- Newport Art Museum to host Newport Day of Design Walking Tour
- Obituary: Florence Seibert
- Obituary: Richard B. Kyle
- Six Picks: The best in live music this weekend – Bristol Porchfest, Los Lobos and the Rascals
- Concert Recap and Photos: The Motels Rock the Odeum (September 16, 2021)