With all the talk state-wide recently on the subject of tourism, we have been looking at how the City Of Newport markets itself and what can possible be done better.
What nickname best resembles all that Newport has to offer? What do you use? What should we all as locals, tourists, residents and the city, use more consistently as a nickname?
“City nicknames can help in establishing a civic identity, helping outsiders recognize a community or attracting people to a community because of its nickname; promote civic pride; and build community unity. Nicknames and slogans that successfully create a new community ‘ideology or myth’ are also believed to have economic value. Their economic value is difficult to measure,but there are anecdotal reports of cities that have achieved substantial economic benefits by “branding” themselves by adopting new slogans,” according to Wikipedia“.
Some nicknames that have been added by readers to this poll include “City that is Always Under Construction (by the sea)” and “The Port?
More from What's Up Newp
- Newport Gallery Night returns on August 12
- Obituary: Belmira Silvia
- Obituary: Jayne Ellen Byam
- Obituary: Susan Christie
- Obituary: Eileen Burke
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 3 Recap and Photos (August 1)
- Passim Announces Eastern Front Songwriter Grant
- History in the Making: Newport Jazz and the Civil Rights Movement
- Handel and Haydn Society to perform Beethoven’s Symphony No. 9, “Ode to Joy,” in free concert at the DCR Hatch Shell
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 2 Recap and Photos (July 31)