William E Kirkpatrick, 75, husband of Linda, father of Steven (and Jane) and David, grandfather of Taylor and John, brother of Ed (and Donna), engineer, sailor, skier, golfer, race management officer, world traveler, and Portsmouth resident, died on June 22nd following an accident.
Born in and raised near Philadelphia, Bill was an accomplished clarinet player and scout. He attended The University of Pennsylvania, where he studied electrical engineering and was a leader in the school’s music programs. In Bill’s professional life, his indefatigable work ethic and leadership empowered innovations in defense and civil aerospace.
His stewardship of the junior sailing and race management programs at Centerport (NY) YC leaves a lasting legacy. More recently, he expressed his passion for sailing at Ida Lewis YC and Sail Newport. Bill also treasured his time with friends from St. Columba’s Church, Wanumetonomy Golf Club, and Newport Ski Club.
Bill will be sorely missed but fondly remembered by many. The Kirkpatrick family will celebrate his life and legacy with family and friends on Wednesday June 29th. A memorial service will be held in the chapel at St. George’s School in Middletown at 10:00am.
In lieu of flowers, donations in Bill’s honor may be made to Sail Newport or to another appropriate charity.
More from What’s Up Newp
- Opinion: Lucy’s Hearth needs the community’s support now more than ever
- National Grid making progress in restoration efforts
- Celtic Woman’s “Postcards From Ireland” arriving at Mohegan Sun Arena on March 18, 2022
- What’s Up This Weekend: Salve Fall Festival Weekend, Halloween Hilarity, Trunk or Treat, and more
- Opinion – Rep. Carson: High stakes of appropriate coastal management
- Edward King House to serve as a new drop-off site for Meals on Wheels
- Newport resident named new VP & Branch Sales Manager at BankNewport’s North Kingstown branch
- Ticket Giveaway: S.G. Goodman Saturday, Oct. 30th at the Newport Casino
- Nor’easter Update: National Grid responding to power outages
- Update: All restrictions lifted on Newport Pell and Jamestown Verrazzano Bridges