Margaret Frances (Silvia) Gomes, 96, of Wapping Road, Middletown died peacefully on Sunday, June 5, 2016 in the same home where she was born, surrounded by her family. She was the wife of the late Louis J. Gomes Sr. for 60 years, until his death in 2003.
Mrs. Gomes worked for Dr. Carrellas as a young woman, then went on to work at the Naval Torpedo Station in the Uniform Shop and continued work as a seamstress for families throughout Aquidneck Island. She was very active and faithful member of St. Barnabas helping with many feasts and special dinners, working hard behind the scenes in the kitchen.
She is survived by her children, Louis J. Gomes, Jr. of Portsmouth, RI, Dennis J. Gomes of Brandon, FL, Ann Zetterberg of Clearwater, FL and Katherine Hatzberger of Portsmouth, RI, nine grandchildren, fifteen great grandchildren and four great-great grandchildren with one more on the way.
She was the sister of the late Lewis F. Silvia, John F. Silvia, Joseph F. Silvia, Edward F. Silvia
and Manuel F. Silvia.
Calling hours will be held on Thursday, June 9, 2016, from 4:00-7:00pm, in Memorial Funeral Home, 375 Broadway, Newport.
Her funeral will be held on Friday, June 10, 2016, at 11:00am, from the funeral home, followed by a Mass of Christian Burial at 12:00 Noon, in St. Barnabas Church, 1697 East Main Road, Portsmouth, RI. Burial will be in St. Columba Cemetery, Browns Lane, Middletown, RI.
In lieu of flowers, donations in her memory may be made to the Hospice at Visiting Nurse Service of Newport and Bristol Counties, 1184 East Main Road, Portsmouth, RI 02871.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- FirstWorks Live series at Roger Williams Park continues with Thea Hopkins Sunday, September 19th
- Live Music Society announces Cat Henry as Executive Director
- Rep. Ruggiero to lead CRMC study commission
- Norman Bird Sanctuary welcomes fall with harvest season of events
- Clear the Shelters: Potter League to host pet adoption drive on Saturday
- RI Foundation honors Wickford lawyer with highest honor
- Newport Art Museum to host Newport Day of Design Walking Tour
- Obituary: Florence Seibert
- Obituary: Richard B. Kyle
- Six Picks: The best in live music this weekend – Bristol Porchfest, Los Lobos and the Rascals