Donald Richards, 72, of Newport, passed away Saturday, June 18, 2016 in Newport Hospital.
Don was proud to be a lifelong Newporter. He taught at Portsmouth High School for 20 plus years and was involved as an announcer for the PHS baseball team and the Portsmouth Babe Ruth League.
Don enjoyed the company of friends and family, was a member of the Preservation Society, he loved books, crossword puzzles, talking politics and history.
He was smart and funny and would not be defined by the cancer that took him way too soon. He touched many lives along the way and will be sorely missed by those who knew him.
He is survived by his sister, Eileen Holmes and her husband Alanson of Middletown, RI, his two nephews, Kevin and Brian Holmes, of Newport and his great niece Brittany Feeler and his great nephew Michael Holmes.
Calling hours will be held on Wednesday June 22, 2016 from 4-5:30 pm at Memorial Funeral Home, 375 Broadway, Newport.
His funeral service will be immediately following at 5:30pm.
Burial will be private.
In lieu of flowers, donations may be made in his name to the Newport Rescue Wagon Fund, 21 W. Marlborough Street, Newport, RI 02840 or the Robert Potter League for Animals, PO Box 412, Newport RI 02840, or to a local charity of your choice.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Newport Gallery Night returns on August 12
- Obituary: Belmira Silvia
- Obituary: Jayne Ellen Byam
- Obituary: Susan Christie
- Obituary: Eileen Burke
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 3 Recap and Photos (August 1)
- Passim Announces Eastern Front Songwriter Grant
- History in the Making: Newport Jazz and the Civil Rights Movement
- Handel and Haydn Society to perform Beethoven’s Symphony No. 9, “Ode to Joy,” in free concert at the DCR Hatch Shell
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 2 Recap and Photos (July 31)