A Newport man who was found unresponsive on Clinton Avenue on Wednesday has died.
The 30 year old Newport resident, who has been identified as Jonathan Flores, was found unresponsive outside 19 1/2 Clinton Avenue at 11:20 a.m. on Wednesday. He was transported to Newport Hospital and then to Rhode Island Hospital.
The Medical Examiner’s office notified police Thursday that Flores had died and that the cause of death had not been determined. An autopsy took place Friday.
This incident is under investigation by the Newport Police Criminal Investigation Division, If anyone has any information, contact Detective Danny Turmel at 401-847-1306.
The family of Flores started a gofundme page on Saturday morning, their fundraising goal of $11,000 will help with the cost of sending his body back to his mother in Mexico.
Fundraising Page Description
On June 23, 2016 Johnathan Flores, also known as Edgar, was found unresponsive on the street in Newport, RI. He was taken to Rhode Island hospital where he later passed away. His death is under investigation by Newport police department due to the nature of his injuries and death. Johnathan was a loving and compassionate person. He was a caring son, a brother, and an uncle. Johnathan was a long time cook at The Port seafood grille and bar on Thames street in Newport. His favorite thing to do was spend time with his family. His family in America and I are starting this page to raise money to send his body back to his mother in Mexico , where he is originally from. This is the second son she has lost and doesn’t have the means to send for him herself. No one deserves to leave this Earth in the manor he did. We appreciate any donations and will further keep you updated . Thank you
Editor’s Note: Newport Police Department incorrectly stated that the incident happened on Clinton Street in a press release provided on Thursday.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13