The Rhode Island Department of Health (RIDOH) announced on Wednesday that they recommended the closure of Spouting Rock Beach in Newport; Easton’s Beach in Newport; and Mackeral Cove Beach in Jamestown for swimming because of high bacteria counts.
Easton’s Beach reopened for swimming on Thursday afternoon, while Spouting Rock Beach and Mackeral Cove Beach both reopened on Friday.
The only beach in Rhode Island currently closed is Oakland Beach in Warwick.
When a beach closure is recommended, water quality analysis is conducted by RIDOH’s laboratory or a state-certified laboratory.
The status of a beach may change daily. The most up-to-date beach information is available through a recorded message on RIDOH’s beaches telephone line (401-222-2751) and online here – http://www.health.ri.gov/beaches/.
The Latest From WUN
- Grammy-Nominated Artist Leigh Nash playing Club Passim Tuesday, November 2
- Hocus Pocus 2 begins filming in Rhode Island
- Kerri Powers and Stefan Couture playing Blackstone River Theatre October 30th
- “Creatures of Imagination” exhibition opens Oct. 21 at Salve Regina’s Hamilton Gallery
- What Sold: 24 Newport County real estate sales, transactions (Oct. 11 – 15)