Eric Peterson, headmaster of St. George’s School, has informed trustees that he won’t seek to renew his contract, which expires June 30, 2017.
Peterson’s resignation had been sought by many alumni during the last few months while the school has been embroiled in a sexual abuse scandal that became public in December of 2015, after Anne Scott and two other alumnae told of being molested or raped by athletic trainer Al Gibbs in the late 1970s.
In a letter sent Tuesday to the St. George’s community announcing Peterson’s departure, board of trustees chair Leslie Heaney referred briefly to the scandal: “Throughout this transition, the school’s commitment to addressing past instances of sexual abuse and to supporting our survivor community will remain steadfast.”
Read More from The Boston Globe: Head of strife-torn St. George’s to step down next year
Our Ongoing Coverage:
- Investigation of Sexual Abuse at St. George’s Closed, No Criminal Charges
- St. George’s Looking to Settle With Alumni Over Sexual Abuse Allegations
- St. George’s Cancels “Hope For Healing” Event That Was Planned for Alumni Weekend
- Report: State Police Nearing End of St. George’s Sex Abuse Probe
- St. George’s Says Administrator Put On Leave Following “Secondhand Allegations”
- Stage Crew Manager for Newport Folk & Jazz Festivals Tied to Alleged Abuse at St. George’s
- Hundreds Sign Online Petition Asking St. George’s School to Take Action on Alleged Sexual Abuse
- St. George’s Lands on Front Cover of Boston Globe Today for Past Sexual Abuse Allegations