It was an exciting first day of sailing and racing for the World Match Racing Tour Newport as the Fog Created For a Testing Opener.
The event continues today out at Fort Adams State Park with high-speed stadium-style racing between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m.
Spectators will enjoy watching the sheer power of the M32 catamarans as they skip over the water with their helmeted crews hiking out on “racks” mounted outboard of the hulls.
The event also features live play-by-play commentary as well as music, food, family lawn games, a hospitality tent, and an M32 for kids to experience what it’s like onboard. The event is open to the public, with no admission fee and free parking.
TUESDAY, MAY 31
- 9:30 a.m. Boats leave dock
- 10:00 a.m. – 5 p.m. – Fleet Racing -16 Races planned (4 races per group of 5 teams)
- 2:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. Try Sailing-Free to public – all ages
As Rhode Island’s Public Sailing Center, Sail Newport aims to provide the experience of sailing to the public and will offer free Try Sailing! opportunities to visitors today from 2:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.No experience is necessary as certified skippers and life jackets (for all ages) will be provided by Sail Newport
More from What's Up Newp
- Obituary: Timothy E. Carter
- Newport Gallery Night returns on August 12
- Obituary: Belmira Silvia
- Obituary: Jayne Ellen Byam
- Obituary: Susan Christie
- Obituary: Eileen Burke
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 3 Recap and Photos (August 1)
- Passim Announces Eastern Front Songwriter Grant
- History in the Making: Newport Jazz and the Civil Rights Movement
- Handel and Haydn Society to perform Beethoven’s Symphony No. 9, “Ode to Joy,” in free concert at the DCR Hatch Shell