The following items of business, filed with the City Clerk under the Rules of the Council, will go before the Newport City Council at its regular meeting to be held on May 11, 2016, at 6:30 p.m at Pell Elementary School, 35 Dexter Street.
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE TO THE FLAG
(Speakers must sign in with the City Clerk). The Citizen’s Forum period shall be no longer than fifteen minutes, and citizens may address the Council on one subject only and for no longer than three minutes. Issues to be discussed shall not include matters to be considered or discussed as part of the regular council agenda and must be related to substantive city business. No comments regarding personnel or job performance are allowed.
COUNCIL LIAISON UPDATES
1. PUBLIC HEARING-
Action #5516/16 Community Development Block Grant Application (CDBG) 2016 (with accompanying resolution)
2. CONSENT CALENDAR.
(THE CONSENT CALENDAR IS APPROVED IN ITS ENTIRETY UNLESS THE COUNCIL REMOVES AN ITEM FOR DISCUSSION. ALL LICENSES ARE GRANTED SUBJECT TO COMPLIANCE WITH ORDINANCES #31-80 AND #98-40.)
- Special Event Licenses:
1) Tresor Estate Sales, d/b/a Greenhouse Garden Sale, 180 Narragansett Ave.; May 14, May 21 and May 22, 2016 from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
2) Middletown Public Schools Visual Arts Dept., d/b/a Middletown Public Schools K-12 Art Exhibit, Elks Lodge; May 16-20, 2016 from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
3) Beechwood Foundation Inc., d/b/a Marley Bridges Theatre Co.-Mystery at the Museum: Hanging Chad, 76 Bellevue Ave.; 5/14, 5/28, 6/11, 6/25, 7/9, 7/30 and 8/27, 2016 from 7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
4) Bike Newport, d/b/a Bike to Work Day, Eisenhower Park; May 20, 2016 from 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
5) Trinity Repertory Company, d/b/a Pell Awards Gala, Ochre Court; May 23, 2016 from 6:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m.
6) Sail Newport, Inc., d/b/a World March Racing Tour Regatta, Fort Adams State Park; May 30- June 4, 2016 from 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
7) Parents of Class of 2016 PHS, d/b/a PHS Post Prom Party, Elks Lodge; June 1-2, 2016 from 10:00 p.m. to 3:00 a.m.
8) Parent Advisory Board of EDS, d/b/a Emmanuel Day School Yard Sale, Emmanuel Church; June 4, 2016 from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
9) St. Joseph’s Church, d/b/a Hispanic Community Annual Picnic, Braga Park; June 12, 2016 from 12:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
10) Bike Newport, d/b/a Elliot Kaminitz Father’s Day Ride, beginning and ending at Fort Adams State Park; June 19, 2016 from 7:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. (route attached)
11) Newport Festivals Foundation, Inc., d/b/a Newport Festivals Foundation Family Concert, Fort Adams State Park Quad; July 27, 2016 from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
12) Middletown Rotary Club, d/b/a Middletown Rotary Club Car Show, September 25, 2016 from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. (Raindate-10/02/2016)
- Daily Entertainment License, Gladding School of Dance, Rogers High School Auditorium; May 27, 2016 from 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. and May 28, 2016 from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- 2016 Holiday Selling License Renewals
1) Wicker Designs, LTD, d/b/a Hey Sailor, 129 Swinburne Row
2) Kathleen L. Cabral, d/b/a Ireland Calls, 123 Swinburne Row
3) Newport Bicycle LLC, d/b/a Newport Bicycle, 130 Broadway
4) Newport Sea Foam Trading, LLC, d/b/a Newport Sea Foam Trading Co., 415 Thames St.
5) Wicker Designs LTD, d/b/a P.S. Gear 2, 359 Thames St.
6) Wicker Designs LTD, d/b/a P.S. Gear Division, 113 Swinburne Row
7) Wicker Designs LTD, d/b/a Pleasant Surprise, 121 Swinburne Row
8) Heavenly Soles, Inc., d/b/a Run Newport, 16 Long Wharf Mall
9) Heavenly Soles, Inc., d/b/a Sole Desire, 131 Swinburne Row
- Holiday Selling Licenses, New
1) Michele Duffy, d/b/a A Christmas to Remember, 22 Long Wharf
2) Upon A Star, LLC, d/b/a Wish Newport, 80 Thames St.
- e. Bicycle Rental Agency, Renewal, Newport Bicycle ,LLC, d/b/a Newport Bicycle, 130 Broadway
- f. Bicycle Rental Agency, New, Scooter World, LLC, d/b/a Scooter World, 12 Christies Landing
- Communication from Thomas H. Sullivan, re: Resignation of Thomas H. Sullivan from the Canvassing Authority (Receive with regret)
- Communication from Rhode Island State Planning Council, re: Notice of Public Hearings FFY 2017-2025 Draft State Transportation Improvement Program and Amendment #7 to the FFY 2013-2016 State Transportation Improvement Program (Receive)
- i. Communication from Tom Evangelista, re: Request to increase the thenumber of pedicabsfrom 18 to 20 (Receive and refer to city administration for a recommendation)
LICENSES & PERMITS
- 2016 Entertainment License Renewals (list attached)
- 2016 Sidewalk Café Renewals:
- a) Stone Soup, LLC, d/b/a Caleb & Broad, 162 Broadway (new plan)
- b) MBK, LLC, d/b/a Pour Judgement, 32 Broadway
- c) BKA Industries, Inc., d/b/a Scales & Shells, 527 Thames St.
- VictualingLicense, Renewal, Lindsey Kusic, d/b/a Gooseberry Concession and Grill, Ocean Ave.
- VictualingLicense, New, Fatulli’s, LLC, d/b/a Downtown Café, 476 Thames St.
- VictualingLicense, New, Sunnyside Up on Thames, Inc. d/b/a 404 Thames St.
COMMUNICATIONS AND PETITIONS
- Communication from Gregory B. Klaiber, re: Curb Cut Appeal, 43 Sherman St.
9. APPOINTMENTS TO BOARDS AND COMMISSIONS
Note: Vacancies currently or soon will exist on the following Boards and Commissions:
Accessibility Advisory Committee, Ad Hoc Committee on Waste Water and Storm Water Improvements, Affirmative Action Commission, Beach Commission, Charter Review Commission, Finance Review Committee, Harbor Walk Commission, Historic Cemetery Advisory Commission, Historic District Commission, Hospitality Commission, Tree and Open Space Commission, Zoning Board
Housing Authority– resident member- 1 Vacancy – Constance Vergowven
- Roger Williams University Aid to Communities’ Program- K. Leonard, J. Florez, J. Napolitano
- Green Economy Bond- J. Napolitano, J. Florez, K. Leonard
- Amending Chapter 10.24, Section 10.24.010, entitled, ‘Parking prohibited at all times in designated places”, to add Wheatland Court, either side. (Second reading)
- Amending Chapter 10.24, entitled “Parking Restrictions on Specific Streets,” Sections 10.24.030 and 10.24.050 to change three spaces from 2 hour limit to 30 minute limit on Mill Street (Second Reading)
COMMUNICATIONS FROM THE CITY MANAGER
- Action #5517/16 re: Partnership Intermediary Agreement – NAVSEA NUWC and City of Newport (w/accompanying resolution)
- Action #5518/16 re: National Grid Petition – Gardiner Street – New Pole
- Action #5519/16 re: Proposal Award – City Hall Council Chambers Audio/Video System Upgrade (w/accompanying resolution)
- Action #5520/16 re: Award of Bid #16-051 – Citywide Plumbing Contract Services (w/accompanying resolution)
- Action #5521/16 re: Award of Bid #16-038 – Repairs to the Newport Cliff Walk (w/accompanying resolution)
- Action #5522/16 re: Supplemental Agreement #2, Contract #15-038 Roadway Improvement Program 2015 (w/accompanying resolution)
ADJOURN AS COUNCIL AND CONVENE AS BOARD OF LICENSE COMMISSIONERS
BOARD OF LICENSE COMMISSIONERS
- Daily Liquor Licenses:
Class F-1: Sail Newport Inc., d/b/a World Match Racing Tour Regatta, Fort Adams State Park; May 30-June 4, 2016 from 12:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
LICENSES AND PERMITS
- Application of Hall of Fame Properties, LLC, d/b/a Canfield House, 5 Memorial Blvd., holder of a Class BV alcoholic beverage license to transfer membership from Todd Martin 100% to (Todd Martin 33 1/3%, Brewer Rowe 33 1/3% and Cullen McKain33 1/3%). (Hearing)
- Application of Stone Soup, LLC d/b/a Caleb & Broad, 162 Broadway, holder of a Class BV alcoholic beverage license to expand its licensed premise to include a new sidewalk café measuring 19.4 feet x 19.1 feet with four tables and four chairs each. (Hearing)