The Frederick Law Olmsted Park & Arboretum at the National Museum of American Illustration (NMAI) is Rhode Island’s newest accredited Level I Arboretum, containing four newly designated “State Champion Trees”.
To note these momentous events, the National Museum of American Illustration is holding “A Celebration of Trees” on the grounds of their Frederick Law Olmsted Park on Bellevue Avenue in Newport at 11:00am on Saturday, May 28, 2016.
The public is invited to this free event where the Rhode Island Tree Council will officially dedicate the property as a certified arboretum and the NMAI will formally accept the designation of their four Champion Trees of Rhode Island.
Their Champion Fern Leaf Beech is believed to be the oldest and largest of its kind in the United States!
There will be brief remarks from dignitaries, including Dr. Brian Maynard, Professor of Horticulture in URI’s Department of Plant Science, tree planting and climbing demonstrations, free tree information, and free soil testing.
At the conclusion, they will offer a tour of the grounds so attendees can see these stately trees. All Celebration attendees will receive half-price admission to the NMAI on the day of the event (with hand stamp).
The museum will also officially open for the summer season on May 30th, Thursday through Sunday the museum will be open from 11am to 5pm through September 5th.
The Newport Museum of American Illustration is located at 492 Bellevue Avenue in Newport.
For more information, visit www.americanillustration.org.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13