The following items of business, filed with the City Clerk under the Rules of the Council, will come before the Council at its regular meeting to be held on April 27, 2016, at 6:30 p.m. at Pell Elementary School.
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE TO THE FLAG
CITIZEN’S FORUM: (Speakers must sign in with the City Clerk). The Citizen’s Forum period shall be no longer than fifteen minutes, and citizens may address the Council on one subject only and for no longer than three minutes. Issues to be discussed shall not include matters to be considered or discussed as part of the regular council agenda and must be related to substantive city business. No comments regarding personnel or job performance are allowed.
COUNCIL LIAISON UPDATES
1. CONSENT CALENDAR.
(THE CONSENT CALENDAR IS APPROVED IN ITS ENTIRETY UNLESS THE COUNCIL REMOVES AN ITEM FOR DISCUSSION. ALL LICENSES ARE GRANTED SUBJECT TO COMPLIANCE WITH ORDINANCES #31-80 AND #98-40.)
- Special Event Licenses:
1) Elmwal Associates, LLC, d/b/a Free Summer Concert Series, Shops at Long Wharf; May-October 2016 (various dates) from 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
2) Edward King House Senior Center, d/b/a Run for the Roses, Edward King House; May 7, 2016 from 4:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
3) Bowen’s Wharf Company, d/b/a Bowen’s Wharf Seafood Festival, Bowen’s Wharf; May 20, 2016 from 5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. and May 21 & 22, 2016 from 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
4) St. Michael’s Country Day School, d/b/a Theatre at St. Michael’s Camp Performance, Hill House, 180 Rhode Island Avenue; July 15 & 16, 2016, July 29 & 30, 2016 and August 12 & 13, 2016 from 7:00 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
5) International Tennis Hall of Fame, d/b/a International Tennis Hall of Fame Welcome Dinner, The Redwood Library & Athenaeum; July 15, 2016 from 6:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m.
6) International Tennis Hall of Fame, d/b/a International Tennis Hall of Fame Tribute Dinner, The Elms; July 16, 2016 from 6:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m.
7) St. Michael’s Country Day School, d/b/a Navy Band Northeast Concert, St. Michael’s Country Day School; July 27, 2016 from 6:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
8) Jesus Savior Church, d/b/a Summer Bazaar, Church Parking Lot; July 28, 29 & 30, 2016 from 7:00 p.m. to midnight
9) Rhode Race & Events Inc., d/b/a Newport Rhode Races, beginning and ending at Easton’s Beach (route attached); April 16, 2017 from 7:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- Food Concession Licenses, Jesus Savior Church, d/b/a
- Holy GhostFeast, Fenner Hall; May 22, 2016 from 12:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
2 Summer Bazaar, Church Parking Lot; July 28, 29 & 30, 2016 from 7:00 p.m. to midnight
- Bingo License, Jesus Savior Church, Church Parking Lot; July 28, 29 & 30, 2016
- 2016 Holiday Selling License Renewals
1) Palm Beach Apparel Group, Inc., d/b/a Charlotte Kellogg, 184 Bellevue Ave.
2) Two Hogs, LLC, d/b/a Del Sol, 203 Goddard Row
3) Mandarine, Inc., d/b/a Mandarine, 16 Bannister’s Wharf
4) Oriental Arts LTD, d/b/a Oriental Arts LTD, 103 Swinburne Row
5) Rochelle’s Inc., d/b/a Rochelle’s of Newport, 381 Thames St. (new location)
6) Thames Street Shirt Co., d/b/a Thames Street Shirt Company, 410 Thames St.
- Communicationfrom Martha McCann Rose, Ph.D., Salve Regina University, re: Requesting permission to hold a class picnic at King Park on May 1, 2016 from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. (Approve subject to details being worked out with city administration)
LICENSES & PERMITS
- VictualingLicense, New, Gather Herbs, Inc., d/b/a Gather, 312 Broadway
- VictualingLicense, New Owner, Pan Am Amalgamated, LLC, d/b/a Newport Fruit & Smoothie Company, 30 Bowen’s Wharf
- Farmer’s Market, Renewal, Aquidneck Grower’s Market, Memorial Blvd. between Chapel St. and Edgar Court
- Sidewalk Café, New, Picnic LTD., d/b/a Picnic, 26-28 Bellevue Ave.
- 2016 Sidewalk Café Renewals:
- a) Ben’s Chili Dogs, LLC d/b/a Ben’s Chili Dogs, 158 Broadway (new plan proposed)
- b) 2paddysandacanuck, LLC, d/b/a Fifth Element, The, 107-111 Broadway (new plan proposed-in conjunction with liquor license expansion)
- c) Nick’s Fine Foods, Inc., d/b/a Nikolas Pizza, 38 Memorial Blvd W.
- d) Broadway Tavern, LTD, d/b/a Tavern on Broadway, 16-18 Broadway
7. APPOINTMENTS TO BOARDS AND COMMISSIONS
Historic District Commission– 2 alternate vacancies- Howard Elliott and Karl A. Bjork
Newport Beach Commission: C. Wayne Craft, Martin Gollis, Martha Marie Grogan and Carole Nicodemus
Note: Vacancies currently or soon will exist on the following Boards and Commissions:
Accessibility Advisory Committee, Ad Hoc Committee on Waste Water and Storm Water Improvements, Affirmative Action Commission, Beach Commission, Charter Review Commission, Finance Review Committee, Harbor Walk Commission, Historic Cemetery Advisory Commission, Historic District Commission, Hospitality Commission, Tree and Open Space Commission, Zoning Board
COMMUNICATIONS FROM THE CITY MANAGER
- Action#5507/16 re: Connection Street – Parking Restrictions on Specific Streets (w/accompanying ordinance)- continued from April 13, 2016
- Action#5508/16 re: Wheatland Court – Parking Restrictions on Specific Streets (w/accompanying ordinance)- continued from April 13, 2016
- Action# 5511/16 re: Memorandum of Understanding – City of Newport and Clean Ocean Access – Newport Harbor Marina Trash Skimmer Project (w/accompanying resolution)
- Action# 5512/16 re: National Grid Petition – Thames Street at Lee Ave. Relocation of Existing Pole
- Action# 5513/16 re: Award of Contract – Virtual Desktop Pilot Program (w/accompanying resolution)
- Action# 5514/16 re: Award of Contract – Roadway Crack Sealing 2016-RIDOT Award (w/accompanying resolution)
- Action# 5515/16 re: Mill Street – Parking Restrictions on Specific Streets – Ordinance 10.24 Specific Parking Limits During Certain Hours on Certain Streets (w/accompanying ordinance)
ADJOURN AS COUNCIL AND CONVENE AS BOARD OF LICENSE COMMISSIONERS
BOARD OF LICENSE COMMISSIONERS
- Daily Liquor Licenses:
|a.)||Class F-1:||Edward King Senior Center, d/b/a Run for the Roses, Edward King House; May 7, 2016 from 4:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.|
|b.)||Class F-1:||Oliver Hazard Perry, RI, d/b/a Bowen’s Wharf Oyster Festival, Bowen’s Wharf; May 20-22, 2016 from 5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.|
|c.)||Class F:||Jesus Savior Church, d/b/a Holy Ghost Feast, 15 Fenner Ave.; May 22, 2016 from 12:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.|
|d.)||Class F:||Jesus Savior Church, d/b/a Summer Bazaar, July 28, 29 & 30, 2016 from 7:00 p.m. to midnight|
LICENSES AND PERMITS
- Applicationof 2paddysandacanuck, LLC, d/b/a The Fifth Element, 107-11 Broadway to expand their Class BV alcoholic beverage license to increase the sidewalk café from a 6’x30’x2” along the curbside to a two section café along the building consisting of a 7’x19’3” section with 7 tables and 4 chairs each and 6’6” x 11’x6” section with 4 tables and 4 chairs each (Hearing)