Miss the convenience of the ferry that used to run between Providence and Newport? Well, it may soon return.
The Rhode Island Department of Transportation (RIDOT) issued a Request For Proposals (RFP) on Friday, April 8th seeking an operator to run service between Newport and Providence.
At this RIDOT is asking for 7 day a week service between July 1, 2016 through September 5, 2016. The Newport landing will be Perrotti Park and the Providence landing will be at the former Shooters property. RIDOT will work with RIDEM to prepare the site for ferry service included parking.
Bidding opens on RFP 7550500 “2016 Narragansett Bay Passenger Ferry Shuttle Services” on April 29th, 2016.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- FirstWorks Live series at Roger Williams Park continues with Thea Hopkins Sunday, September 19th
- Live Music Society announces Cat Henry as Executive Director
- Rep. Ruggiero to lead CRMC study commission
- Norman Bird Sanctuary welcomes fall with harvest season of events
- Clear the Shelters: Potter League to host pet adoption drive on Saturday
- RI Foundation honors Wickford lawyer with highest honor
- Newport Art Museum to host Newport Day of Design Walking Tour
- Obituary: Florence Seibert
- Obituary: Richard B. Kyle
- Six Picks: The best in live music this weekend – Bristol Porchfest, Los Lobos and the Rascals