What’sUpNewp has learned that Newport will play host to a an independently organized TEDx event on June 18th.
The location and speakers for the TEDx event have not been announced.The event is being organized by Alyssa Mae and at this time the event is invite-only.
In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience.
At a TEDx event, TEDTalks video and live speakers combine to spark deep discussion and connection in a small group. These local, self-organized events are branded TEDx, where x = independently organized TED event. The TED Conference provides general guidance for the TEDx program, but individual TEDx events are self-organized (subject to certain rules and regulations).
Richard Saul Wurman who founded TED in 1984, has lived in and owned The Orchard in Newport with his wife since 1993. Richard Saul Wurman, who has live in and owned The Orchard in Newport with his wife since 1993.
TED was founded as an annual conference on Technology, Entertainment and Design — hence the name TED — but TED’s reach, and its scope, have become ever broader since then. TED Talks cover science, arts, politics, global issues, architecture, medicine, music and more.
The Wurman’s recently had their home listed for sale with Lila Delman Real Estate for $11 million, that listing is now priced at $6.7 million.
The event has popped up on Twitter and is currently seeking help from Salve Regina University, “Hi @SalveRegina ! #TEDxNewport is coming in 2016. If anyone is interested in helping please”,
This story will be updated when if more information is received.
TED is a nonprofit devoted to Ideas Worth Spreading! We believe passionately in the power of ideas to change attitudes, lives and, ultimately, the world. And so we’re building a clearinghouse of knowledge and inspiration from the world’s most inspired thinkers, and a community of curious souls to engage with ideas and each other.
TED began in 1984 as an annual conference on Technology, Entertainment and Design — hence the name TED — but TED’s reach, and its scope, have become ever broader since then. TED Talks cover science, arts, politics, global issues, architecture, medicine, music and more. Speakers come from a wide variety of communities and disciplines — people you know, like Bill Gates, but also people you might not know yet — Sir Ken Robinson, Jill Bolte Taylor, David Gallo, Salman Khan, Amy Cuddy, Esther Perel … each with an important, vital idea to share. In 2006, we began putting TED Talks online, free for the world to share. In 2012, we passed one billion video views.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Rhode Island Foundation offering $25,000 grants to local writers
- Obituary: Ann-Marie Nevitt
- Open Studios and Drive-By Art returns to Jamestown on August 7
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 1 Recap and Photos (July 30)
- Governor McKee signs Rhode Island African Heritage and History Curriculum Bill
- 31 open houses happening this weekend (July 30 – August 1)
- A1 Roofing & Construction teams up with FabNewport to further FabGolf program for local youth
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools