As the first morning rays of sunshine break over the Evangelical Friends congregation on Easter Sunday, so begins the Christian celebration of Jesus rising from the dead.
Located on the shore of Green End Pond at the southern end of Aquidneck Island, the small contemporary Christian church observes the Resurrection with passion and joy. For over 20 years, the congregation has arrived at daybreak each Easter morning, prepared with warm coats and hopeful hearts.
At 6:20 a.m. the assembly gathers for music and prayer on the eastern lawn of the church located at 70 Bliss Mine Road, Newport. Participants commemorate Mary’s visit to the tomb and finding it empty.
“The resurrection of Jesus is the high point of the Christian calendar,” reminds Senior Pastor Paul Hoffman. “It’s an event to rejoice in and share with others!”
After the service, a hearty breakfast is served in the Fellowship Hall of the church. Volunteers arrive in the pre-dawn hours to prepare an inviting buffet of home fries, praline French toast casserole, bacon, sausage, egg and cheese strata, vegetable quiche, fruit salad, oatmeal and freshly baked cinnamon rolls.
Friends and family continue the Easter celebration in a relaxed, informal setting, remembering the event that marks the foundation of the Christian faith.This long standing tradition commences the first of four services being held at Evangelical Friends Church on Easter Sunday.
At 8:30 and 10:00 a.m., Intersection – Your Story + God’s Story series will launch, followed by an 11:30 a.m. creative service, Unstoppable Life, geared towards High School, College-age and young adults.
The public is invited to share in this special time of celebration and fellowship.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- FirstWorks Live series at Roger Williams Park continues with Thea Hopkins Sunday, September 19th
- Live Music Society announces Cat Henry as Executive Director
- Rep. Ruggiero to lead CRMC study commission
- Norman Bird Sanctuary welcomes fall with harvest season of events
- Clear the Shelters: Potter League to host pet adoption drive on Saturday
- RI Foundation honors Wickford lawyer with highest honor
- Newport Art Museum to host Newport Day of Design Walking Tour
- Obituary: Florence Seibert
- Obituary: Richard B. Kyle
- Six Picks: The best in live music this weekend – Bristol Porchfest, Los Lobos and the Rascals