Two cultures and two patron saints will be recognized by the House of Representatives and Senate tomorrow, Wednesday, March 16, when the legislative chambers conduct their annual St. Patrick’s Day and St. Joseph’s Day celebrations.
Among those who will be speaking during the celebrations is Kevin Stacom who calls Newport home, previously owned Mudville Pub and now has a hand in running Waite’s Wharf ( @ The Deck and Dockside).
Stacom is best known for his days playing basketball at Providence College Basketball and the six seasons he spent playing for the Boston Celtics.
Rhode Island District Court Associate Justice John T. Houlihan Jr. and Woonsocket Mayor Lisa Baldelli Hunt, a former representative, will offer remarks on the Irish and Italian heritages when the House celebration kicks off in the chamber after its regular 4 p.m. session. Rep. Mary Duffy Messier (D-Dist. 62, Pawtucket) will offer an Irish toast, and Rep. Arthur J. Corvese (D-Dist. 55, North Providence) will offer an Italian toast. The guest speakers will be introduced by Rep. Eileen Slattery Naughton (D-Dist. 21, Warwick) and Rep. Thomas A. Palangio (D-Dist. 3, Providence), respectively.
Former NBA players and Providence College teammates Kevin Stacom and Ernie DiGregorio will team up again to give the Irish and Italian addresses, respectively, in the Senate. The Senate’s celebration, also scheduled to begin after the regular 4 p.m. session, is co-hosted by Majority Whip Maryellen Goodwin (D-Dist. 1, Providence) and Majority Leader Dominick J. Ruggerio (D-Dist. 4, North Providence, Providence).
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- FirstWorks Live series at Roger Williams Park continues with Thea Hopkins Sunday, September 19th
- Live Music Society announces Cat Henry as Executive Director
- Rep. Ruggiero to lead CRMC study commission
- Norman Bird Sanctuary welcomes fall with harvest season of events
- Clear the Shelters: Potter League to host pet adoption drive on Saturday
- RI Foundation honors Wickford lawyer with highest honor
- Newport Art Museum to host Newport Day of Design Walking Tour
- Obituary: Florence Seibert
- Obituary: Richard B. Kyle
- Six Picks: The best in live music this weekend – Bristol Porchfest, Los Lobos and the Rascals