The C&C 30 One Design has announced that its inaugural North American Championship will be held this summer as part of New York Yacht Club Race Week at Newport presented by Rolex.
The regatta takes place July 13-16, in Newport, RI.
The class has grown steadily since one-design racing began in 2015; 11 teams recently competed at the 2016 edition of Quantum Key West Race Week. With the rapid introduction of new teams, and with boats in build for early 2016 delivery, the fleet is expected to number at least 20 for the July event.
“The class is honored to hold our first North Americans at the NYYC,” says C&C 30 One Design Class President Dan Cheresh. “The conditions in Newport are always spectacular, and the NYYC logistics and hospitality are top-shelf. I’m thrilled to be competing in such an exciting event; we’ll be training hard all summer. The competition gets tighter at every regatta – I can’t wait to get to the starting line.”
Cheresh and his team on Extreme2 won the class’ first stand-alone event, the Miami Ocean Series hosted by Coconut Grove Sailing Club, in February. The win came on the heels of a hard-fought Quantum Key West Race Week, where Extreme2 finished second to Walt Thirion and his team on Themis. Extreme2 and Themis traded wins throughout 2015, but always in the mix were Jim Madden and his team on Stark Raving Mad, Ed Feo and Loco, Angus Davis and Nyabinghi, and Bob Moran and Bobsled. New owners for 2016 who are sure to shake up the overall standings include Kip Meadows with a new roXanne, Mark Bremer with City Girl, and Steve Stroub aboard Tiburon.
“The C&C 30 One Design fleet is growing fast,” says Randy Borges, president of USWatercraft. “With new boats joining the fleets in California, the Great Lakes, Annapolis and Newport, the competition is heating up. The one-design racing is ultra-competitive, thanks to clear rules and measurement oversight by the class measurer and the team at USWatercraft. This ensures an even playing field, which resonates with owners who want to drive their own boats and who insist on a high-performance platform.”
The North American Championship Trophy will be presented at the Rolex Awards Gala at the New York Yacht Club.
The C&C 30 One Design is designed by Mark Mills and the USWatercraft engineering team, and is built in the USA by USWatercraft. A full schedule of events is planned for 2016 and can be found on the new class website cc30class.com.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Deer Tick releases new album “Live at Fort Adams”
- Rhode Island Foundation offering $25,000 grants to local writers
- Obituary: Ann-Marie Nevitt
- Open Studios and Drive-By Art returns to Jamestown on August 7
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 1 Recap and Photos (July 30)
- Governor McKee signs Rhode Island African Heritage and History Curriculum Bill
- 31 open houses happening this weekend (July 30 – August 1)
- A1 Roofing & Construction teams up with FabNewport to further FabGolf program for local youth
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts