Subscribe to What’s Up Newp’s daily newsletter
Be the first to know about breaking news, articles, and updates.
The following items of business, filed with the City Clerk under the Rules of the Council, will come before the Council at its regular meeting to be held on March 23, 2016, at 6:30 p.m in the Cafetorium of the Pell Elementary School.
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE TO THE FLAG
(Speakers must sign in with the City Clerk). The Citizen’s Forum period shall be no longer than fifteen minutes, and citizens may address the Council on one subject only and for no longer than three minutes. Issues to be discussed shall not include matters to be considered or discussed as part of the regular council agenda and must be related to substantive city business. No comments regarding personnel or job performance are allowed.
COUNCIL LIAISON UPDATES
1. CONSENT CALENDAR.
(THE CONSENT CALENDAR IS APPROVED IN ITS ENTIRETY UNLESS THE COUNCIL REMOVES AN ITEM FOR DISCUSSION. ALL LICENSES ARE GRANTED SUBJECT TO COMPLIANCE WITH ORDINANCES #31-80 AND #98-40.)
- Minutes of the Meeting held February 24, 2016 (Approve)
- Special Event Licenses:
1) Kathleen W. Finn, d/b/a Oscar Hall Fundraiser, Elks Lodge, 141 Pelham St.; April 9, 2016 from 5:30 p.m. to 11:00 p.m.
2) Larry Lajoie, d/b/a Patrick McGirr Benefit, Elks Lodge, 141 Pelham St.; April 22, 2016 from 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
3) Newport Rugby Football Club, d/b/a NERFU Championship Tournament, Fort Adams State Park; May 14 & 15, 2016 from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
4) Newport Rugby Football Club, d/b/a Newport Summer 7’s Rugby Tournament, Fort Adams State Park; June 25, 2016 from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
5) International Tennis Hall of Fame, d/b/a Hall of Fame Tennis Championships, International Tennis Hall of Fame; July 10-17, 2016 from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
6) Boys & Girls Club of Newport County, d/b/a Newport Yacht Rendezvous, Newport Shipyard, 1 Washington St.; August 12, 2016 from 5:00 p.m. to midnight
7) Eileen Daffron & Pastor Paul Hoffman, d/b/a Come Alive Gospel Music Fest, King Park; August 13, 2016 from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Holiday Selling Licenses, New:
1) Chatree Sachayansrisakul, d/b/a Divana, 433 Thames St.
2) Paw Addict RI, LLC, d/b/a Paw Addict, 431 Thames St.
3) Sterling, Inc., d/b/a Kay Jeweler’s #2899, 199 Connell Highway, Unit 7A
- 2016 Holiday Selling License Renewals (list attached)
- 2016 Second-hand License Renewals:
1) Cottage & Garden, LLC, d/b/a Cottage & Garden, 9 Bridge St. Unit C
2) Robert B. Angell, d/b/a Spring Street Bookstore, 42 Spring St. Unit 1
- Food Concession Licenses, Newport Rugby Football Club, Fort Adams State Park:
1) NERFU Championship Tournament, May 14 & 15, 2016 from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
2) Newport Summer 7’s Rugby Tournament, June 25, 2016 from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Annual Reports(Receive)
Board of Tax Appeals
- Communication from Clean Ocean Access, re: Quarterly Report on CRMC Public rights-of-way (2015/Q3&Q4) (Receive)
- i. FY 2017 Proposed Operating Budget (Receive and order advertised for public hearings)
- Communication from the Department of the Navy, re: Notice of Public Meeting for Draft Environmental Impact Statement for the Disposal and Reuse of Surplus Property at Naval Station Newport (Receive)
LICENSES & PERMITS
- Application for a Sound Variance, Boys & Girls Club of Newport County, Newport Shipyard, 1 Washington St., August 12, 2016 from 5:00 p.m. to midnight (Public Hearing)
3. APPOINTMENTS TO BOARDS AND COMMISSIONS
Canvassing Authority– move from alternate to full member- Donato D’Andrea
Newport Hospitality Commission– 4 vacancies- Linda Naiss, Sharon Sullivan
Newport Tree and Open Space Commission– 1 vacancy-Anne Dubose Joslin, Dennis Demers
Note: Vacancies currently or soon will exist on the following Boards and Commissions:
Accessibility Advisory Committee, Ad Hoc Committee on Waste Water and Storm Water Improvements, Affirmative Action Commission, Beach Commission, Charter Review Commission, Finance Review Committee, Harbor Walk Commission, Historic Cemetery Advisory Commission, Historic District Commission, Hospitality Commission, Tree and Open Space Commission, Zoning Board
COMMUNICATIONS FROM THE CITY MANAGER
- Action # 5503/16 re: Collective Bargaining Agreement between the City of Newport and AFSCME, Council 94, Local 911, for the period of July 1, 2015 through June 30, 2018 (w/accompanying resolution and ordinances)
- Action Item # 5504/16 re: Award of Bid – School and Cemetery Mowing(w/accompanying resolution)
- Action Item # 5505/16 re: Award of Bid – Hunter Tennis Court Restoration and ADA Improvements(w/accompanying resolution)
ADJOURN AS COUNCIL AND CONVENE AS BOARD OF LICENSE COMMISSIONERS
BOARD OF LICENSE COMMISSIONERS
- Class F-1 Daily Liquor Licenses:
- Newport Rugby Football Club, d/b/a NERFU Championship Tournament, Fort Adams State Park; May 14& 15, 2016 from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Newport Rugby Football Club, d/b/a Newport Summer 7’s Rugby Tournament, Fort Adams State Park; June 25, 2016 from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- International Tennis Hall of Fame, d/b/a Hall of Fame Tennis Championships, International Tennis Hall of Fame; July 10-17, 2016 from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- International Tennis Hall of Fame, d/b/a Newport Jazz Festival Opening Night, International Tennis Hall of Fame; July 29, 2016 from 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
Laura C. Swistak
March 16, 2016
Holiday Selling License Renewals
|A Market Newport||Nutrition House Inc.||181||Bellevue Ave.|
|Aspire Dermatology LLC||Aspire Dermatology LLC||51||Long Wharf|
|Ball & Claw, The||Ball & Claw, The||29||Americas Cup Avenue|
|Bellevue Beauty Walk||Beauty Walk LLC||1||Bannisters Wharf|
|Bermuda Bay Clothing||Evansco, Inc.||119||Swinburne Row|
|Brooks Brothers||Brooks Brothers Group, Inc. Brooks Brothers Country Club #6042||139||Swinburne Row|
|Deborah Winthrop||Deborah Winthrop Fine Lingerie and Gifts LTD Downtown||209||Goddard Row|
|Famous Footwear #2559||BG Retail, LLC||199||Connell Highway Unit 2|
|L’Occitane en Provence||L’Occitane Inc.||21||Long Wharf|
|Newport Fudgery||Fudgery, Inc., The||168||Thames St.|
|Newport Fudgery||Fudgery, Inc., The||359||Thames St.|
|Newport Marriott||Marriott Hotel Services, Inc. Hotel||25||Americas Cup Ave.|
|Primavera||Primavera, Inc.||4||Bowens Wharf|
|Sail Loft||Evansco, Inc.||18||Bowens Wharf|
|Save The Bay||Save The Bay, Inc.||175||Memorial Blvd.|
|Spring Street||Robert B. Angell Bookstore||42||Spring St. Unit 1|
|Stardust Fashion||Jane Kropp||359||Thames St.|
|UPS Store, The||MTG Ventures LLC||270||Bellevue Ave.|
|Van Der Wal Gallery||Tenley & Onne Van Der Wal||1||Bannister’s Wharf|
|White House/Black||White House/Black Market, Inc Market #3521||49||Long Wharf Mall|
As has been past practice, the Council will meet at 6:20 p.m. to discuss docket items. This pre-meeting will be held at the Pell Elementary School first-floor conference room… The public is invited to attend. The docket, along with all supporting documents, can be viewed on the City of Newport website: www.cityofnewport.com – “Services” – “Council Agendas & Minutes.” Council Meetings can be viewed on Cox Cable, Channel 18; check local listings for dates and times. A DVD of the Council Meeting will be available at the Newport Public Library within 48 hours of the meeting.
The Pell Elementary School is accessible and meets ADA requirements. INDIVIDUALS REQUIRING INTERPRETER OR OTHER ACCOMMODATIONS MUST NOTIFY THE CITY CLERK’S OFFICE (845-5351) OR CITY MANAGER’S OFFICE (845-5429) ONE WEEK IN ADVANCE OF THE MEETING.