Discover the best events, activities and things to do during March in and around Newport, RI.
March is Newport Irish Heritage Month for a full list of events, activities and things to do, visit www.aohnewport.org.
(In chronological order)
1 – Arts Around The Fire
Tuesday from 6pm – 8pm at Salvation Cafe
Tanya Kelley, member of the Newport Spring Leadership Committee, will talk about the project to redesign the intersection behind the Colony House where Newport’s original spring is marked. The Committee is seeking ideas for the future of the site and hopes to enlist the arts community in visualizing the space in new ways. Access a community survey at the site, http://www.historicnewportspring.org/ and bring your ideas to discuss.
Arts Around the Fire is an opportunity for artists, writers, performers and arts patrons to chat with colleagues about events and accomplishments in the Newport County cultural community and learn about new ideas and good work being done. Arts Around the Fire features a cash bar, complimentary hors d’oeuvres donated by Salvation Café and an informal atmosphere where artists and art lovers can connect. The Alliance thanks Salvation Café for their hospitality.
2 – Battle Chefs
Tuesday at 8pm at The Revolving Door Restaurant
Rhode Island’s best chefs go toe to toe weekly and are dealt an exotic secret ingredient and 45 minutes to impress the crowd and judges. $20 per person (includes 1 drink)
3 – Grey Sail Beer Pairing Dinner
Wednesday at 6pm at Hotel Viking
Join Grey Sail Brewing at One Bellevue for a $39 price fix beer pairing dinner at Hotel Viking. March 16 Featuring Grey Sail Brewing of Rhode Island Menu: Appetizer: Fried mozzarella wedge, sundried tomato pesto, frisée Entrée: Grilled Sausage – creamy polenta, braised kale Dessert: Tiramisu. Facebook Event
4 – WADK Live St. Patrick’s Day Broadcast and Fundraiser
Thursday from 12:30pm – 4pm at Midtown Oyster Bar
Join WADK 1540AM’s Ryan Belmore and Bobb Angel on St. Patrick’s Day (March 17th) as they broadcast live from 12:30pm – 4pm at Midtown Oyster Bar. No cover charge. Facebook Event
Stop by for some great food (like a Corned Beef Sandwich), Irish fun, fundraising, and live music from Newport RI Ancient Order of Hibernian’s Pipes and Drums and AOH Men’s Singers!
There will also be a chance to win a stay at the Irish Village on Cape Cod.
Whaler’s Brewing Company, Midtown Oyster Bar and 1540 AM WADK will be teaming up to raise money to help support Newport RI Ancient Order of Hibernian’s Pipes and Drums.
Newport’s Ancient Order of Hibernian’s Pipes and Drums have been invited to participate in a parade of pipe bands to commemorate the 100th Anniversary of Ireland’s 1916 Easter Rising. The parade is one of many events to commemorate this important event in Irish history. The parade will be held in Dublin on March 26, 2016. The parade is being organized to honor those who fought for Ireland’s independence during the 1916 Rising.
Whaler’s Brewing Company, one of Rhode Island’s newest breweries, will be on hand from 2pm – 4pm with samples and giveaways. $1 from every Whaler’s sold will also bennefit Newport’s AOH Pipes & Drums band.
5 – Sky Dance
Friday at 7pm at Norman Bird Sanctuary
Enjoy an evening by the fire, listening to the prose of some of the great nature writers melded with fiddle and classical music. Fiddlers EmmaLee Holmes-Hicks and Rachel Panitch, along with guitarist Mike Sokolovsky deliver a toe-tapping performance sprinkled with all the surprise and intrigue of improvisational music!
Tickets $20 for Norman Bird Sanctuary members and $25 for non NBS members. Early registration advised – register at https://interland3.donorperfect.net/weblink/weblink.aspx?name=E164191&id=209 or call 401 846 2577
Enjoy dessert by The French Confection and wine from Newport Vineyards!
6 – MEC Stand-Up For Education Comedy Show
Friday at 7pm at Pennfield School
An evening of comedy to benefit Middletown public education. Comedy Show and Live & Silent Auction.
Tickets are available from all MEC board members or on the MEC website www.mecmec.org
7 – Friday Movie Night – A Classic Irish Evening
Friday at 7pm at Hotel Viking
Join Hotel Viking for dinner at One Bellevue or enjoy a Guinness in theirr Lounge before the show. In honor of St. Patrick’s Day, One Bellevue will be offering a traditional Corned Beef & Cabbage Dinner, available from 5-7pm, followed by a free showing of the Oscar winning classic, “The Quiet Man” with John Wayne and Maureen O’Hara. Movie is open to all.
8 – The Well
Friday from 7pm to 9pm
Evangelical Friends Church Newport (EFC Newport) will host “The Well”, a monthly coffeehouse featuring Christian music and written work performed by area musicians and artists, at The Annex in Newport on Friday, March 18th from 7 p.m. – 9 p.m. More Info
9 – Live Improv Comedy with The Bit Players
Friday at 8pm at The Firehouse Theatre
RI’s most award-winning comedy troupe hits the stage with their hilarious improv show full of larger than life characters, hysterical musical numbers, & the quickest wit you’ll ever see EVERY Fri & Sat night at 8pm. If you are going for a special occasion & would like a person(s) of honor to be part of the show let us know in advance. We will create a customized game just for your group! We encourage ALL guests to buy tickets online, shows often sell out. All shows are BYOB! Laugh More.
10 – Mary Poppins!
March 18 & 19 at Fenner Hall
Newport’s SWANHURST CHORUS THEATER announces its 22nd Annual Tribute to Broadway with Disney & Cameron Mackintosh’s beloved adaptation of P.L. Travers “Mary Poppins.” Join Mary & Bert for this fabulous, magical, and whimsical jaunt. Held at Fenner Hall, 15 Fenner Avenue, Newport, the dinner theater-style shows features intimate staging that places the audience on Cherry Tree Lane.
Dates are March 5, 6, 12, 13, 18 & 19 with matinees on Sunday, March 6th and 13th, and Saturday, March 12th. NOTE: Opening night, Saturday, March 12th evening, Sunday, March 13th, and Saturday, March 19th are SOLD OUT.
Tickets are $35 and include full dinner & dessert buffet. Matinees are $30. Children 12 & under receive a $5 discount for Friday shows as well as Matinees. (Children price not offered for Saturday evenings.) Full tables of 8 are $270 (evening shows only). Reservations are strongly advised as performances do sell out! Group Rates (over 25) are available.
Live Music, Entertainment & Comedy Listings
- Diegos: Trivia at 9pm
- Fastnet: Live music with The Ubiquitones from 10pm to 1am. No cover.
- Fifth Element: Live music with The Groove Merchants from 7pm to 10pm
- Midtown Oyster Bar: Live music from 9pm to 1am. No cover.
- Perro Salado: Live music with Julio Amaro from 6pm to 9pm. No cover.
- Empire Tea & Coffee (Broadway Location): Acoustic folk jam at 7:30pm.
- O’brien’s: Trivia at 9:30pm
- Wharf Pub: Open Mic at 8pm.
- Buskers: Open mic night with Mike Warner from 9pm to 1am. No cover.
- Fastnet: Pub Trivia at 9pm.
- Jimmy’s Saloon: Live music at 8pm
- Norey’s Star Restaurant: Live music with at 9pm. No cover.
- Perro Salado: Live music with The Throttles from 10pm to 1am. No cover.
- Sardella’s: Live jazz music at 7:30pm. No cover.
- Tavern On Broadway: Live jazz music at 7pm.
- Celtica: Trivia at 9pm
- Hibernian Hall: Live music with The Playboys at 6pm.
- Jimmy’s Saloon: Open mic at 9pm.
- Norey’s Star Restaurant: Live jazz music at 7:30pm. No cover.
- Midtown Oyster Bar: Live music with the Ancient Order of Hibernians and Men’s Irish Singers – WADK Live Broadcast: St. Patrick’s Day at Midtown Oyster Bar from 12:30pm to 4pm.
- Perro Salado: Live music with The HonkyTonk Knights from 9pm to 1am. No cover.
- Speakeasy: Live music with Justin Pomfret at 9pm.
- Wharf Pub: Bingo at 8pm
- Buskers: Live music from 9pm to 1am. No Cover.
- Celtica: Karaoke at 10pm. No cover.
- Clarke Cooke House: DJ & Dancing in the Boom Boom Room from 10pm to 1am. No cover.
- Firehouse Theater: Live improv comedy with The Bit Players at 8pm.
- Hotel Viking (One Bellevue Lounge): Live music from 7pm – 11pm.
- Jimmy’s Saloon: Live music with at 9pm.
- Jo’s Bistro: Live music with John & Joanne from 7pm to 10pm. No cover.
- Midtown Oyster Bar: Live music at 10pm. No cover.
- Newport Blues Cafe: Live music at 9pm.
- One Pelham East: Live music at 9pm.
- Parlor Bar & Kitchen: Live music at 9pm.
- Speakeasy: Live music from 10pm to 1am. No cover.
- Tavern On Broadway: Live Reggae music from 10pm to 1am. No cover.
- Wharf Pub: Live music at 8:30pm. No cover.