This story was originally posted at 11:24 a.m. on February 14, 2016; it has been updated.
Middletown Fire Department responded to a reported “kitchen/restaurant fire” on Wave Avenue around 11:10 a.m. on Sunday morning.
The 2 alarm fire saw Tiverton, Newport, Newport Naval, and Portsmouth Fire Departments respond for mutual aid. The extent of the damage is not officially known at this time.
Upon arrival responding units discovered that the fire was in fact in one of the apartments above Rusty’s.
Editor’s Note: Crews on scene originally reported and confirmed to What’sUpNewp that the address of the fire was 34 Wave Ave, Atlantic Beach Hotel & Suites (a.k.a. Quality Inn and Suites Atlantic Beach Hotel), they’ve later corrected and confirmed that it was at 44 Wave Ave, Rusty’s Bar & Grille.
The restaurant was open to the public when the fire happened, they opened at 8:30 a.m. this morning for “Valentines day breakfast”.
According to their Facebook page, Rusty’s Bar & Grille opened at 44 Wave Avenue on February 14, 2005 (exactly 11 years ago today).
Middletown Police Department and Fire Department have no further information to provide at this time.
This story will be updated as more information is received.
8:00 p.m. – Loyal customers and friends of Rusty’s have set up a GoFundMe Page (under the name of “FriendsOfRustys” to help with the recovery effort, with a goal of raising $10,000.
3:45 p.m. – The following was posted on the personal Facebook Page of one of the owner’s of Rusty’s Bar & Grill by Beverly – “Family and friends, for those of you who haven’t heard, a fire broke out in the apartments over “Rusty’s Bar and Grill ” today. Everyone got out ok, thank God! Now the real heartache. People lost all their belongings, water and pipe damage in bar! Chuck and Robin Logan Dings are great people! WE ALL have gone and continue to go to “Rustys” for their great meals, fabulous bands, to gather with friends! They’re hospitality and service is the best! Please show your love and support to them now! Let’s show our appreciation, any way we can, to them! DON’T LIKE THIS PLEASE, COMMENTS, SO THEY KNOW WE ARE HERE FOR THEM! Stay strong Chuck and Robin! Love and prayers! Please feel free to share! Would be greatly appreciated!”
11:36 a.m. units on scene reported that the main body of the fire was knocked down and crews would be overhauling.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13