The Preservation Society of Newport County invites applications for one-year research fellowships, to begin on September 1, 2016, on the topic of “Gilded Age Art and Technology.” Applications for six-month fellowships and sabbaticals will also be considered.
[contextly_auto_sidebar] Interested scholars should submit proposals that will utilize Newport’s historic and cultural resources to examine the topic of “Gilded Age Art and Technology” as it relates to history, culture, design, and/or the arts. By the beginning of World War I, new approaches, new technologies, and new philosophies had radically transformed almost every aspect of American life, forever changing the aesthetic, social, scientific, medical, and business worlds of the 19th century. How did Gilded Age developments impact visual culture, the built environment, textiles, landscape design, interiors, social practices, approaches toward collecting and museums? What are the lessons and legacies for today?
Research topics may included (but are not limited to): architectural history, conservation, horticultural and landscape history and design, social history, art and literature, preservation issues, and technology. Broad interpretations and interdisciplinary approaches to this theme are encouraged.
Fellows will receive a stipend of $25,000, and housing will be available in the newly-renovated Elms Scholars Center. Applicants must have an M.A. or Ph.D in a relevant academic field. For additional requirements, and information on how to apply, please visit www.NewportMansions.org/Learn/Research-Scholarship.
The Preservation Society of Newport County, Rhode Island, is a non-profit organization accredited by the American Alliance of Museums and dedicated to preserving and interpreting the area’s historic architecture, landscapes, decorative arts and social history. Its 11 historic properties–seven of them National Historic Landmarks–span more than 250 years of American architectural and social development.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Get Lost! “Six Picks” Corn Mazes in Newport County and Beyond
- Gamm Theatre launches fellowship program for emerging artists
- Just Sold: The 25 homes sold in Newport County this past week
- Gubernatorial candidate Treasurer Seth Magaziner joins What’sUpNewp for a live virtual conversation on Wednesday
- On This Day – September 22, 1962: President Kennedy and Jacqueline watch 4th America’s Cup Race off the Coast of Newport
- Vaccinate the Ocean State: Mini-grants available to nonprofits, organizations to support vaccine promotion
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island (Updated)
- What’s Up Interview: Ben Folds coming to The Vets Friday, Sept. 24
- Legislation signed that makes civics education proficiency a requirement for all public high school graduates
- Sour Grapes – A Comic Strip by Tim Jones: September 21