Manuka Sports Event Management has announced the return of Race The State, a multi-sport endurance race that takes competitors across Rhode Island. The second edition of the race will be held on Sunday August 7, 2016. In addition, Manuka has announced BankNewport and OceanPoint Insurance Agency will return as the presenting sponsors.
Race the State is a multi- sport race designed to challenge competitors to race across a U.S. state taking into account the unique geography of the state. The first edition was held on August 9, 2015 where the logistically challenging race spanned 10 communities and two bodies of water. Middletown resident, David FitzGerald (pictured above) won the men’s individual division in 2015 setting the course time at 5 hours 2 minutes and 22 seconds.
The 2016 edition is again made up of five legs that include running, paddle boarding, kayaking and cycling. It will start in Tiverton and travel 53 miles through the state finishing on the Connecticut/Rhode Island border in Westerly. All competitors are required to have a support team assisting with logistics throughout the race.
Divisions for Race the State include individual, 2, 3, 4 and new for 2016, a 5-person relay. Race the State Rhode Island is limited to 200 total entries, so it is recommended competitors sign up early. A portion of each entry will benefit Special Olympics Rhode Island. To register visit Race-The-State.com.
The Latest From WUN
- Bowzer’s Rock ‘N’ Doo-Wop Party 20th Anniversary coming to Mohegan Sun Jan. 16
- What’s Up at the Movies: We Review “Dune”
- Concert Recap and Photos: The Minks rock Askew (October 21, 2021)
- New behavioral health pharmacy in EBCAP to serve those with mental health and addiction issues
- Newport Art Museum to present “Newport: The City as a Work of Art” lecture series with John R. Tschirch