Every New Year’s Day, the Newport Polar Bears invite anyone crazy enough to join them at Easton’s Beach for a swim in the frosty North Atlantic Ocean.
Thousands of brave souls embarked into the water off of Easton’s Beach last Friday at noon. Miss the event? Check out these photos.
All proceeds from the swim and at the after swim party at the Atlantic Beach Club benefit local charity, A Wish Come True.
A Wish Come True is a local wish granting organization that grants the fondest wish of children ages 3 through 18 years of age who have life threatening illnesses and live in Rhode Island and areas of SE Massachusetts.
A Wish Come True has announced on their Facebook Page that the event brought in more than $11,000; “Thank you to everyone who came out for our Polar Bear Plunge on New Year’s Day! Due to the efforts of the Polar Bears, thousands of other plungers, volunteers, and donors we raised almost $12,000 to help sponsor Alyssa’s wish and help more deserving wish kids! Check out some of our photos, tell a friend about it and plan to join us in 2017.”
For More Information On A Wish Come True, Visit www.awish.org
The Latest From WUN
- Obituary: Julian C. Clinton
- “Six Picks” Pumpkin Ale – It’s the time of the season
- Holidays at the Newport Mansions returns to The Breakers, Marble House, and The Elms starting November 20
- Oakland Forest in Portsmouth will be inducted into the national Old-Growth Forest Network
- Stop & Shop to hold a one-day career fair at all 27 Rhode Island locations