The Newport Festivals Foundation continues to slowly roll out the 2016 Newport Jazz Festival lineup. This year’s event will take place from July 29-31 at Fort Adams State Park and the International Tennis Hall of Fame at the Newport Casino.
$59 Flex Tickets are currently on sale and can be used for General Admission to concerts at Fort Adams State Park on any day of the festival, so there is no need to decide now which day to attend.
Regularly priced adult tickets will be $45 for Friday and $79-89 for Saturday and Sunday; therefore, it’s best to use adult Flex tickets for Saturday and Sunday to get the savings.
Additional acts will be announced to the festival lineup through January 21 when all tickets go on sale on www.newportjazzfest.org.
Date Announced, Artist & Announcement
- 1/11 – Ben Williams & Sound Effect
- Please welcome Ben Williams and Sound Effect to our 2016 lineup. Featuring Gilad Hekselman on guitar and Christian Sands on piano, this group will be performing a special piece commissioned for Newport by the George Wein/Doris Duke Artistic Programming Fund.#NJF2016 Flex Tickets at: http://bit.ly/1IR5o2p
- 1/10 – Gregory Porter
- Congratulations to Gregory Porter, named ‘Artist of the Year’ in the new JazzTimes Reader’s Poll! We’re thrilled to welcome Gregory back to the Festival this summer; better yet, you’ll have two chances to catch him in Newport: Friday, July 29th at the International Tennis Hall of Fame and Saturday, July 30th at Fort Adams State Park. Pre-sale tickets for the Friday night concert will be available on Wednesday, January 13th, with general on-sale beginning on Thursday the 14th at 10am EST.#NJF2016 Flex Tickets at: http://bit.ly/1RsxphX
- 1/8 – Kenny Barron
- 1/7 – Toshiko Akiyoshi
- #tbt – “I met Toshiko Akiyoshi in 1956 with Larry Berk (founder of Berklee College of Music) when she came off the plane from Japan to be a scholarship student. This was a landmark moment for students from foreign countries coming to America to absorb jazz. It’s a pleasure for me to be able to present her 60 years later in a solo piano concert at the Storyville Stage on Sunday, July 31st.” – George Wein#NJF2016 Flex Tickets at: http://bit.ly/1O5f2wY
- 1/6 – Kneebody
- Please welcome Kneebody back to the Fort as they join our 2016 lineup. From their Quad Stage debut in 2015, to their workshop participation at The Jazz Camp at Newport (in collaboration with Newport Festivals Foundation, University of Rhode Island and Salve Regina University), Kneebody is part of our festival family and we’re proud to have them back this summer.#NJF2016 Flex Tickets at: http://bit.ly/1TCXMAZ
- 1/5 – Sullivan Fortner
- Please welcome Sullivan Fortner to the 2016 lineup. A pianist whose performances, as The New York Times notes, “draw from Baroque forms and the processional cadence of New Orleans, his hometown…” Sullivan will be making his Newport debut as a bandleader and presenting a composition commissioned by the George Wein/Doris Duke Artistic Programming Fund.#NJF2016 Flex Tickets at: http://bit.ly/1n0MsUX
- 12/30 – Jose James
- 12/29 – Tyshawn Sorey and Alloy
- Tyshawn Sorey is no stranger to Newport, but with his group Alloy, he will be making his festival debut as a bandleader. We’re excited to hear what they create for us at the Fort this summer, as they will be performing a commissioned work made possible by the George Wein / Doris Duke Artistic Programming Fund#NJF2016 Flex Tickets: http://bit.ly/1mgdN5m
- 12/28 – Steve Coleman and Five Elements
- He’s a MacArthur Foundation Fellowship Awardee, a 2015 Doris Duke Performing Artist Awards recipient, and his latest album, Synovial Joints, joined NPR Music‘s year-end best list. We can only imagine what 2016 will have in-store from this bandleader. Please welcome Steve Coleman and Five Elements to the Newport lineup.#NJF2016 Flex Tickets: http://bit.ly/1YIAxvW
- 12/23 – Darcy James Argue’s Secret Society
- Please welcome Darcy James Argue’s Secret Society to our 2016 lineup. Marking their fourth performance at Newport Jazz, this Brooklyn ensemble will be sharing selections from their brand new work, Real Enemies. Check out The New York Times review of Real Enemies’ recent debut at BAM: http://nyti.ms/1YwNdQU#NJF2016 Flex tickets are available now: http://bit.ly/1mg0KAn
- 12/22 – Angelique Kidjo
- 12/ 21 – The Westerlies
- 12/17 – Chick Corea, Brian Blade & Christian McBride
- Ladies & Gentlemen, please welcome Chick Corea to the 2016 Jazz lineup. We’re thrilled to be celebrating his 75th birthday with his Trilogy, featuring Christian McBride on bass and Brian Blade on drums. The Chick Corea Trilogy will be performing Friday night (7/29) at the International Tennis Hall of Fame and Saturday afternoon (7/30) at Fort Adams. Chick will also be appearing at our Saturday evening Gala. Jazz Flex tickets are on-sale now: http://bit.ly/1CLPAWC #NJF2016
- 12/16 – Tierney Sutton
- We’re looking forward to Tierney Sutton‘s “After Blue” – The Joni MitchellProject performance at the 2016 festival. This Grammy-nominated tribute hits home for us, given Joni’s connection to Newport through her early performances at our sister fest, the Newport Folk Festival. Jazz Flex tickets are on-sale now: http://bit.ly/1CLPAWC #NJF2016
- 12/15 – Peter Apfelbaum & Sparkler
- We’re excited to welcome Peter Apfelbaum and Sparkler to the 2016 lineup. This performance will mark Peter’s festival debut as a bandleader and will include a special commission piece made possible by the George Wein / Doris Duke Charitable Foundation Artistic Programming Fund. #NJF2016http://bit.ly/1QqP0b9
- 12/3 – Kamasi Washington
- PLUS: George Wein/Doris Duke Artistic Programming Fund commissions from Tyshawn Sorey & Alloy, Sullivan Fortner Quartet and Ben Williams & Sound Effect