Photo: Kamasi Washington via Facebook
The Newport Jazz Festival may be 8 months from now but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be grabbing your tickets to the legendary festival as well as paying attention to the lineup.
George Wein announced on Tuesday, December 1st that Kamasi Washington, a tenor saxophonist from Los Angeles, will be a major part of the 2016 Newport Jazz Festival.
“Earlier this season, when NJF sent out a poll for requests as to which new artists people would like to see at the festival, the name Kamasi Washington came out at the top of the list.” Wen said in an email.
As the Los Angeles Times has written, “The idea is simple: Listen to more jazz. And if you heed that advice, you need to listen to more Kamasi Washington, the South Central – and Inglewood – raised saxophonist who might have made the best modern jazz record of the year.”
Flex tickets for the 2016 festival have recently gone on-sale and nearly 1000 have bought tickets before knowing a single artist, according to Wein .
Flex tickets, which allow you to choose the day of your attendance, are still on-sale and are a wonderful holiday present for your friends and family.
To purchase tickets, visit http://www.newportjazzfest.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Deer Tick releases new album “Live at Fort Adams”
- Rhode Island Foundation offering $25,000 grants to local writers
- Obituary: Ann-Marie Nevitt
- Open Studios and Drive-By Art returns to Jamestown on August 7
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 1 Recap and Photos (July 30)
- Governor McKee signs Rhode Island African Heritage and History Curriculum Bill
- 31 open houses happening this weekend (July 30 – August 1)
- A1 Roofing & Construction teams up with FabNewport to further FabGolf program for local youth
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts