The Fort Adams Trust has announced that it has collected over 2,100 handmade holiday cards to be delivered to deployed service members. The fort Gift Shop coordinated with Newport and Middletown elementary and middle schools, local libraries, Boys & Girls Clubs and YMCAs to create the holiday cards for distribution to six countries on three continents around the world.
“Providing our service members with holiday cards created by children should bring a welcome and well deserved smile to those dedicated service members who are deployed away from their families and loved ones, “ stated Fort Adams Trust president Greg Hall. “Our Gift Shop Manager, Tonya Frederick, did a great job putting the drive together and I am sure the service members will appreciate the thoughtfulness of all the children who helped contribute their time and energy,” Hall added.
The holiday cards were mailed out free of charge by the United State Postal Service over the weekend of December 5th to ensure timely arrival.
The Latest From WUN
- “Six Picks” Pumpkin Ale – It’s the time of the season
- Holidays at the Newport Mansions returns to The Breakers, Marble House, and The Elms starting November 20
- Oakland Forest in Portsmouth will be inducted into the national Old-Growth Forest Network
- Stop & Shop to hold a one-day career fair at all 27 Rhode Island locations
- RI Music Educators call on state, school districts to fund music & arts education