The Newport Jazz Festival has announced Chick Corea has been added to their 2016 Newport Jazz Festival. Corea will be accompanied by Christian McBride and Brian Blade for two performances that will celebrate his 75th Birthday.
The announcement came on Facebook on Thursday, December 17th;
“Ladies & Gentlemen, please welcome Chick Corea to the 2016 Jazz lineup. We’re thrilled to be celebrating his 75th birthday with his Trilogy, featuring Christian McBride on bass and Brian Blade on drums. The Chick Corea Trilogy will be performing Friday night (7/29) at the International Tennis Hall of Fame and Saturday afternoon (7/30) at Fort Adams. Chick will also be appearing at our Saturday evening Gala. Jazz Flex tickets are on-sale now: http://bit.ly/1CLPAWC #NJF2016”
Back on December 2nd, Newport Jazz Festival announced their first artist for their 2016 lineup when they announced Kamasi Washington Will Perform at 2016 Newport Jazz Festival.
About Chick Corea
Anthony “Chick” Corea (born June 12, 1941) is an American jazz and fusion pianist, keyboardist, and composer.
Many of his compositions are considered jazz standards. As a member of Miles Davis’ band in the 1960s, he participated in the birth of the electric jazz fusion movement. In the 1970s he formed Return to Forever. Along with Herbie Hancock, McCoy Tyner, and Keith Jarrett, he has been described as one of the major jazz piano voices to emerge in the post-John Coltrane era.
Corea continued to pursue other collaborations and to explore various musical styles throughout the 1980s and 1990s. He is also known for promoting and fundraising for a number of social issues
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Ticket Giveaway – Walden playing at Narragansett Brewery Friday, Sept. 24
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island on Wednesday
- “This American Life” contributor David Sedaris coming to Jane Pickens Theater Sept. 28-29
- RI Arts and Humanities Councils award nearly $1 million in grants with federal funds to 121 culture, humanities, arts nonprofits
- Pell Bridge to transition to all-electronic tolling on October 27
- The Reef set to host inaugural Savor Newport Wine and Food Fest
- RI Hospitality Association’s 18th Annual Economic Outlook Breakfast predicts continued recovery in 2022
- Obituary: Peter J. O’Connell
- Concert Recap and Photos: George Thorogood at Indian Ranch (September 19, 2021)
- Obituary: Arthur Bennett Shattuck