It’s been a busy few days for local island newspapers, both the Jamestown Press and Block Island Times announced they have been sold during Christmas week.
Jamestown Press announced on Christmas Eve that their company had been sold by Jeff McDonough to Robert Berczuk. McDonough had owned the newspaper for 25 years.
According to LinkedIN, Berczuk currently calls the Greater Chicago area home and is a veteran journalist with 20 years experience as a reporter and editor for many newspapers including two with the New Jersey Herald.
Block Island Times
The Block Island Times announced on Christmas that their company has been sold from Fraser and Betty Lang to Michael Schroeder. The Lang’s had owned the newspaper for 10 years.
Schroeder is the publisher of New Britain Herald, Bristol Press and two other Connecticut newspapers and manager of News + Media Capital Group LLC, the company that bought Las Vegas Review Journal.
Providence Journal with more information on the sale – Connecticut publisher to buy Block Island Times
Schroeder is currently in the man behind many controversial stories that are catching headlines over the last week…
- Los Angeles Times: Vegas newspaper stands up to its newly unveiled owner, casino giant Sheldon Adelson
- Hartford Courant: Controversial Article Has Passages Nearly Identical To Those In Other Publications
- Washington Post: Reporter for Connecticut’s Bristol Press resigns, and why that matters
- TPM: Connecticut Reporter Resigns Blaming ‘Plagiarizing’ Publisher With …
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 1 Recap and Photos (July 30)
- 31 open houses happening this weekend (July 30 – August 1)
- A1 Roofing & Construction teams up with FabNewport to further FabGolf program for local youth
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso