Celebrating New Year’s Day in Newport? Here’s a look at some of the best and most popular events happening in the area…
9am – 11am: Diego’s Brunch – This doesn’t usually happen, but Diego’s brunch is brought to Friday in the off season in celebration of the New Year. $5 breakfast tacos will be served!
10am – 4pm: BYOB Brunch – This brunch menu at Cru Cafe will not dissappoint and will include some CRU favorites and exciting New Year’s creations by our Executive Chef Brandon!
No ticket or reservation needed! Get your BYOB on and welcome in 2016 with our mimosa kit. Not ready to keep partying? They will also have a complimentary specialty coffee bar with any coffee purchase (Full Disclosure: This business is an advertiser on What’sUpNewp.com).
12pm – Polar Plunge: Every New Year’s Day for charity the Newport Polar Bears invite anyone crazy enough to join them at Easton’s Beach for a swim in the Frosty North Atlantic Ocean. The charity this year is as last year, A Wish Come True. All proceeds from the swim and at the after swim party at the Atlantic Beach Club at the east end of Easton’s Beach. Come join us at noon and help us raise money for a great charity.
12pm – ? -Polar Bear Party: This will be ABC’s last “after the plunge” party and their final day in operation. Enjoy the music of World Premiere Band, a free buffet and lots of fun!
1pm – 2pm: New Year’s Day at Thames Street Yoga: What is your New Years Resolution? Thames Street Yoga’s is to expand hearts and hands in generosity and compassion through our yoga practice. Join Amanda Rubio on New Years Day and welcome 2016 by feeding it forward!
Proceeds from class will help support Yogis Feed The Hungry, an emerging foundation uniting yoga teachers and food banks across America. Your donation will benefit local food banks and pantries; together we can feed hungry Rhode Islanders with farm to table, locally grown, fresh vegetables.
The class will be an exploration of traditional poses with flowing movement, physically looking to improve cardiovascular health, strength, and stamina, while mentally, offering clarity and calm. All levels, a range of poses are offered for each posture to suit different body types and experience levels.
Suggested donation is $25. 10% of Long Time Sun Apparel Newport boutique sales will on New Years Day will benefit Yogis Feed the Hungry.
1pm – 4pm: Yoga Open House: On January 1, two separate yoga studios will come together in one space. Mahatma Yoga Studio will open a Vinyasa studio within the converted barn space, presently a home to Tenth Gate Yoga Studio at 1046 East Main Road, Portsmouth.
Both studios are having an Open House, post-plunge, on January 1 from 1-4. All afternoon, there will be delicious food by local chef Jess Patricio, live music, mind/body raffle prizes, and tarot card readings. Free classes are offered all weekend at Mahatma and Friday & Saturday at Tenth Gate.
7pm – 11pm: Enjoy live music with the Travis Colby Band in the One Bellevue Lounge at Hotel Viking (Full Disclosure: This business is an advertiser on What’sUpNewp.com)
8pm – 10pm: Live Improv Comedy :The Bit Players, RI’s most award-winning comedy troupe, hits the stage at The Firehouse Theater with their hilarious improv show full of larger than life characters, hysterical musical numbers, & the quickest wit you’ll ever see EVERY Fri & Sat night at 8pm. All shows are BYOB! (Full Disclosure: This business is an advertiser on What’sUpNewp.com)
Live Music & Entertainment Listings
- Buskers: Live music from 9pm to 1am. No Cover.
- Celtica: Karaoke at 10pm. No cover.
- Chanler at Cliff Walk: Live music with Dick Lupino & friends from 6pm to 10pm. No cover.
- Clarke Cooke House: DJ & Dancing in the Boom Boom Room from 10pm to 1am. No cover.
- Firehouse Theater: Live improv comedy with The Bit Players at 8pm.
- Hotel Viking (One Bellevue Lounge): Live music from 7pm – 11pm with Travis Colby Band.
- Jimmy’s Saloon: Live music at 9pm. The Big Takeover & My Mother’s Mousta…
- Jo’s Bistro: Live music with John & Joanne from 7pm to 10pm. No cover.
- Midtown Oyster Bar: Live music at 10pm. No cover.
- Newport Blues Cafe: Live music at 9pm.
- One Pelham East: Live music at 9pm.
- Parlor Bar & Kitchen: Live music at 9pm.
- Speakeasy: Live music with Chopville from 10pm to 1am. No cover.
- Tavern On Broadway: Live Reggae music from 10pm to 1am. No cover.
- Wharf Pub: Live music at 8:30pm. No cover.