SantaCon has announced that it will host its 5th Annual SantaCon in Newport, RI on Saturday, December 5th.
SantaCon is a mass gathering of people dressed in Santa costumes parading publicly on streets and in establishments, held every December in cities around the world.
The focus is on spontaneity and creativity, while having a good time and spreading cheer and goodwill, and raising funds for local worthwhile charities along the way.
Sometimes known as Naughty Santas, Cheapsuit Santas, and Santapalooza, SantaCon incorporates elements of a flash mob in the context of cheerful bawdy and harmless behavior, the singing of Christmas carols, and the giving of small gifts to strangers.
Want To Participate?
Each person that participates is asked to bring a gift card or toy for their Toys for Tots drive and along the way they’ll be offering raffle tickets to raise funds for a local non-profit organization that provides support to families of children who have Cystic Fibrosis, called Finnz Fundz, based right here in Rhode Island.
Raffle prizes include gift certificates to local restaurants, gift baskets and even a one night stay at the Newport Hyatt!
Want to join in the fun? Santa doesn’t just wear a cool suit and frolic around Thames Street: he also brings GIFTS! A gift can be a reindeer game, a song, a dance or a joke to entertain Santas and tourists alike. Or you can buy a few dozen trinkets and hand them out to the kids who are sure to come up to you on the street and ask probing questions. Just remember, you’re Santa – so stock up!
These Are The Organizers Rules
- You GOTTA wear a full Santa costume. Not just a lame Santa hat and jeans. ONLY Santas in full costume will be a part of this event. Show up in something creative and you could win a prize – Santa Elvis, Santa Hillary, Santa Grinch – use your imagination. Show up with just a Santa hat and you will be mocked and shamed and considered an outcast, so don’t do it.
- You have to have a jolly spirit – there’s no room for grumpy Santas!
- Santa doesn’t make children cry – if a child approaches you on the street, hand him/her a little gift and say Merry Christmas! After all, it IS the holiday season!
- The answer to every question is Santa. Who are you people? Santa. Why are you doing this? Because we’re Santa. How do I join the fun? Be Santa. It’s just that simple.
For more information, visit www.santaconnewport.com
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13