This story was originally published on November 24th at 1:50 p.m.
2015 – The “Year Of Change” for the Newport Restaurant scene.
What’sUpNewp has confirmed that plans are in place for the sale of Cafe Zelda, “The Best Little Cafe Between Bar Harbor and Key West”, and transfer of its liquor license to the new owners for the same premises.
Update – March 18, 2016: Cafe Zelda will reopen on March 18th at 4pm. Updated hours – Monday thru Friday: Bar open at 4pm, Dinner at 5pm. Saturday and Sunday: They open at 11am.
Phone number for Cafe Zelda is 401-849-4002
An application has been filed by Rudder, Inc (d.b.a. Cafe Zelda) to transfer its Class VB alcoholic beverage license to Cafe Zelda LLC (d.b.a. Cafe Zelda).
Cafe Zelda LLC is made up of Patrick Kilroy and Craig Kilroy, they will each represent 50% ownership and membership. The two are brothers that are also involved with The Landing and Lobster Bar.
The application for the transfer of the liquor license will be heard by the Board Of license Commissioners and Newport City Council on Wednesday, December 9th at 6:30pm at Pell Elementary School.
Cafe Zelda was not publicly “on the market” for sale and is still open daily.
It is unknown at this time the purchase price, conditions of the sale or plans the Kilroy’s have for the Lower Thames Street property located at 582 Thame Street.
A source close to the sale tells us that new ownership does plan on reopening the restaurant as soon as possible.
The sale is pending liquor license transfer, victualing license and the closing of the sale.
Update: November 29th
The following update was shared on Cafe Zelda’s Facebook Page on Sunday, November 29th.
“The Cafe Zelda family thanks our many customers and friends who have supported us since 1986. We hope you will join us for dinner or drinks before we close after dinner on December 7th and close the bar on December 11th for winter renovations. Cafe Zelda will re-open in the New Year under new ownership. All the best – Tom & Roxanne Callahan Newport, Rhode Island Read more here: https://whatsupnewp.com/
Update: November 27th
The following update was shared on Cafe Zelda’s Facebook Page on Friday, November 27th.
“The Cafe Zelda family thanks our many customers and friends who have supported us since 1986. We hope you will join us for dinner or drinks before we serve our last dinner on December 7th and close the bar on December 11th. All the best – Tom & Roxanne Callahan”
Cafe Zelda History
In the 1940’s, McGee’s Pub took over operations and ran the establishment as a local speakeasy and tavern until 1982. Then the building was purchased by Murray Davis, the founder of Cruising World Magazine in the 1980’s. Davis named the establishment Cafe Zelda, after F. Scott Fitzgerald’s wife and her influence in creating the roaring 20’s lifestyle. In 1986, current owners Tom & Roxanne Callahan purchased the building and the business from Davis.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13