Update: 7:35 p.m. – Coast Guard has called off the search in Narragansett Bay,marine assets returning in service with nothing found
A distress call came in at approximately 6:15 p.m. on Thursday for vessel in distress on Narragansett Bay. The vessel and reason for distress call, “mayday”, is unknown at this time.
The original search area included Pine Hill Point, Prudence Island.
The United States Coast Guard and Rhode Island Marine Task Force expanded that search area and launched a helicopter.
This story will be updated if more information is received.
Content Presented By
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13