Shortly after being named by USA Today’s 10 Best as one of the top 10 places to visit for history buffs and luxury travelers, USA Today is now saying “forget Newport” and head to Little Compton for the perfect fall getaway.
A little understanding of where USA Today is coming from in their recent story Eight Secret New England Towns Perfect For A Fall Getaway; “If you love New England in the fall, but hate the crowds, then head to these hidden gems where you can actually enjoy the foliage and explore the outdoors unfettered by the tourist hordes.”
Those destinations joining Little Compton on the list were Jackson, NH; Rockport, MA; Castine, ME; Peterborough, NH; East Haddam, CT; Becket, MA and Grafton, VT.
What they had to say about Little Compton;
“Little Compton, R.I.
Forget Newport and its glitzy mansions. Little Compton is the better bet for a relaxed autumnal escape. A 17th-century town and rural farming community near the Massachusetts border situated to one side of the Sakonnet River, Little Compton is scattered with historical sites, a winery and pretty Goosewing Beach. It’s packed in summer but uncrowded and cool each fall, perfect for a brisk walk or two.
What to do: Other than relax and curl up with a good mystery? Sip at Sakonnet Vineyards, the oldest winery in New England, or visit the historical Wilbor House for a taste of life in 1690.”
The Latest From WUN
- Weather Alert: High Wind Warning issued for the region – Storm arrives Tuesday
- Obituary: Elizabeth Marion (Matter) Chambers
- Best-selling author Ann Hood hosts ‘The Writing Life’ public talk at Salve Regina on Oct. 30
- Brown University to significantly expand financial aid and college access
- What’s Up This Week: Hocus Pocus, Tour de Fright, Halloween festivities, and much more