Moonrise Kingdom, starring Bruce Willis, Edward Norton and Bill Murray, was filmed throughout Rhode Island from April until June, 2011.
In Newport, Ballard Park & Trinity Episcopal Church were used as filming locations. For a full list of Moonrise Kingdom movie locations visit HERE.
Set on an island off the coast of New England in the 1960s, as a young boy and girl fall in love they are moved to run away together.
Various factions of the town mobilize to search for them and the town is turned upside down — which might not be such a bad thing.
The film premiered on May 16, 2012 as the opening film at the 2012 Cannes Film Festival—the first film of Wes Anderson to play at Cannes, where it was screened in competition. There was also a very special screening at the Jane Pickens Theater & Event Center here in Newport.
Finishing its theatrical run on November 1, 2012, reports indicate Moonrise Kingdom grossed $45,512,466 domestically and $22,750,700 in international markets for a worldwide total of $68,263,166
Sources: Photo by Focus Features – © 2011 Focus Features
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Newport Gallery Night returns on August 12
- Obituary: Belmira Silvia
- Obituary: Jayne Ellen Byam
- Obituary: Susan Christie
- Obituary: Eileen Burke
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 3 Recap and Photos (August 1)
- Passim Announces Eastern Front Songwriter Grant
- History in the Making: Newport Jazz and the Civil Rights Movement
- Handel and Haydn Society to perform Beethoven’s Symphony No. 9, “Ode to Joy,” in free concert at the DCR Hatch Shell
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 2 Recap and Photos (July 31)