Moonrise Kingdom, starring Bruce Willis, Edward Norton and Bill Murray, was filmed throughout Rhode Island from April until June, 2011.
In Newport, Ballard Park & Trinity Episcopal Church were used as filming locations. For a full list of Moonrise Kingdom movie locations visit HERE.
Set on an island off the coast of New England in the 1960s, as a young boy and girl fall in love they are moved to run away together.
Various factions of the town mobilize to search for them and the town is turned upside down — which might not be such a bad thing.
The film premiered on May 16, 2012 as the opening film at the 2012 Cannes Film Festival—the first film of Wes Anderson to play at Cannes, where it was screened in competition. There was also a very special screening at the Jane Pickens Theater & Event Center here in Newport.
Finishing its theatrical run on November 1, 2012, reports indicate Moonrise Kingdom grossed $45,512,466 domestically and $22,750,700 in international markets for a worldwide total of $68,263,166
Sources: Photo by Focus Features – © 2011 Focus Features
More from What’s Up Newp
- Newport Illuminated Boat Parade canceled due to weather
- Six Picks: The best in local music this weekend – Neutral Nation, Deer Tick and the All-Star Stars
- MLK Center to host free community holiday dinner on December 1
- Newport, Tiverton groups sharing $660,000 in grants to strengthen nonprofits led by people of color
- Concert Recap and Photos: The Schemers ring in the holiday season at The Met
- Blackstone River Theatre Holiday Craft Fair and Festival returns with 24 crafters and live music
- Just My Opinion: What are you thankful for in 2021?
- Newport Jazz Festival releases 2021 Thank You Video
- RITBA: For the first time since the pandemic began, traffic returning to 2019 levels on Pell Bridge
- Singing For Shelter returns December 1 – 22, nightly virtual live concerts will raise money for local shelters