Newport Public Schools
Newport Public Schools

The Newport School Committee voted Wednesday to hire an independent investigator to conduct a full review of the assault of a special needs student at Rogers High School.

School Committee Chair James Dring said the decision reflects the committee’s obligation to restore trust and provide a safe environment for students.

“I am outraged at what I saw in those videos,” Dring said. “The disturbing behavior depicted is wrong at any time, in any place — and especially in our schools.”

The independent review will examine the school system’s response to the incidents, including whether procedures were properly followed, where communication or oversight broke down, what systemic issues may have contributed and what corrective actions are required.

Dring said he expects to provide “a full accounting to our community by the end of next month” between the police investigation and the independent review.

“We will make sure no incident like this ever happens again,” Dring said.

(City of Newport)

The investigation will proceed alongside an ongoing criminal investigation by Newport police. Four Rogers High School students have been arrested since Friday in connection with the locker room assault: two 16-year-olds, a 17-year-old and a 14-year-old. The first student arrested faces two counts of felony assault on persons with severe impairments after investigators determined he assaulted the victim on two separate occasions. The other three were charged with assault.

Superintendent Colleen Burns Jermain said the district became aware late Nov. 20 of a video showing what she called “unacceptable” behavior. The district ended the football season immediately and cancelled a junior varsity scrimmage that had been scheduled for Thanksgiving Day.

The police investigation remains active. Anyone with information is urged to contact Detective Caitlin Poplawski at 401-845-5772 or cpoplawski@newportri.gov.


Related stories

Ryan Belmore is the owner and publisher of What's Up Newp. He took over the publication in 2012 and has grown it into a three-time Rhode Island Monthly Best Local News Blog (2018, 2019, 2020).

He was named LION Publishers Member of the Year in 2020 and received the Dominique Award from the Arts & Cultural Society of Newport County the same year. He has been awarded grants for investigative and community journalism, and continues to coach and mentor new local news publications nationwide.

Ryan is a member of the Society of Professional Journalists, Online News Association, and Local Independent Online News Publishers. He is committed to the codes of ethics of these organizations: accuracy, independence, accountability, and transparency.

In Newport, Ryan served on the boards of the Fort Adams Trust and Potter League for Animals, and hosted a daily radio talk show for four years.

In 2021, Ryan moved to Alexandria, Virginia, to support his wife Jen's career. He launched The Alexandria Brief in 2025, applying what he learned in Newport to a new community. With the help of some talented on-the-ground contributors, he still runs What's Up Newp — and always will.

Contact: ryan@whatsupnewp.com.

11 replies on “Newport School Committee approves independent investigation into Rogers High School assault”

Comments are closed.