President John F. Kennedy vacationed at Hammersmith Farm in Newport on August 26th & 27th, 1962.
Speaking about President Kennedy’s lifelong fascination with the sea, Jacqueline Kennedy once said; “It was really the boat that relaxed him the most. . . . It was for what getting out on a horse was for me, in the air, no phone . . . He loved the sun and the water and no phone.”
In the photos, the 35th President of the United States sits aboard the United States Coast Guard boat Manitou on August 26, 1962 in Narragansett Bay.
President Kennedy would return to Newport, RI in September for the 1962 America’s Cup.
Sources: Robert Knudsen. White House Photographs. John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum, Boston
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Newport Art Museum to host Newport String Project Season Opening Concert
- This day in Newport History: September 19, 1902 – Jimmy Van Alen born in Newport
- Concert Recap and Photos: Felix Cavaliere’s Rascals at the Greenwich Odeum (September 18, 2021)
- FirstWorks Live series at Roger Williams Park continues with Thea Hopkins Sunday, September 19th
- Live Music Society announces Cat Henry as Executive Director
- Rep. Ruggiero to lead CRMC study commission
- Norman Bird Sanctuary welcomes fall with harvest season of events
- Clear the Shelters: Potter League to host pet adoption drive on Saturday
- RI Foundation honors Wickford lawyer with highest honor
- Newport Art Museum to host Newport Day of Design Walking Tour