The Newport Historic Cemetery Advisory Commission is inviting members of the public to help clean gravestones around Newport this May and June.
According to the commission, cleaning stones improve the look of the burial site and helps preserve the monuments.
The first gravestone cleaning will take place at 10 am on Saturday, May 8 and will continue every Saturday through June.
The city will provide the needed materials and training. To ensure the event is conducted with the upmost safety, volunteers need to register before the event and work alone or with family members. All volunteers will wear masks and practice social distancing.
Registration emails should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Historic Cemetery Advisory Commission seeks to assist the City in the efforts to preserve, protect and promote Newport’s historic burying grounds.
More from What’s Up Newp
- What’s Up Newp Legislative Survey: Rep. Lauren Carson
- Jay Leno surprises Bit Players audience with a 30-minute set of stand-up comedy
- Gerry Goldstein: Holiday sweets, baked strictly by the numbers
- Buy Local “Six Picks” – Local Art and Gift shops
- Opinion: Bishop’s 4th Street Diner and the North End Urban Plan
- Newport Illuminated Boat Parade canceled due to weather
- Six Picks: The best in local music this weekend – Neutral Nation, Deer Tick and the All-Star Stars
- MLK Center to host free community holiday dinner on December 1
- Newport, Tiverton groups sharing $660,000 in grants to strengthen nonprofits led by people of color
- Concert Recap and Photos: The Schemers ring in the holiday season at The Met