Sign up for What’sUpNewp’s free daily newsletter and we’ll keep you in the know of all that’s happening, new, and to do out there.
25,000+ subscribers wake up every morning to it!
What’s Up In Newport County Today is our free daily morning newsletter. Want to receive this in your inbox every morning? Sign up for free here.
What’s Up In Newport County Today
By Ryan M. Belmore
> What’s Up Newp reached out to the area’s legislators and asked their perspective on 2020 and their vision for 2021. Today, Representative Lauren Carson (D-Dist. 75, Newport) gives us her legislative outlook.
> Safe Harbor Newport Shipyard has been designated as a Foreign Trade Zone. Safe Harbor Newport Shipyard’s FTZ is the only one of its kind in the United States outside of Florida, according to Safe Harbor Marinas.
> A group of friends has come together to provide Aquidneck Island with some much welcomed comedic relief. WUN’s Tyler Bernadyn with more – ‘Alive on Central’ is the laugh that we needed
> Looking for a new gig, job, or career in the Newport area? There are 70+ job opportunities currently available in Newport.
> Supported by a fellowship from the Preservation Society of Newport County, RIC Associate Professor of Communication Brian Knoth researched the role of music and dance in Newport during an era known as Newport’s “hotel period” and published the results of his research in the “Journal of the Newport Historical Society.”
> Chiquita Baylor, director of the Office of Student Engagement at Salve Regina University, has been awarded the state Mid Level Professional Award for the Doris Michiko Ching Excellence in Student Affairs Award, which is given each year by the National Association of Student Personnel Administrators.
> We continue our authors’ series with a 1 p.m. live video interview today with Edward J. Delaney, an award-winning author, journalist, filmmaker, playwright, and educator. UPDATE: This conversation has had to be rescheduled. We will provide an update on when the conversation will happen.
> The newly elected Newport City Council will host their first regular council meeting tonight at 6:30 pm (here’s what’s on the agenda). We’ll carry the meeting live on our website and Facebook Page as it happens.
> We continue our What’s Up In Local Music series today at 7 pm with a live video interview with Dan Blakeslee.
> If you appreciate reading trusted local independent news without a paywall, help us keep it that way by becoming a What’s Up Newp supporter.
> Happy Birthday today to Alexa Reyes, Corey McClintock, Kathryn Farrington, Ry Smith, Michelle Carter, Sheila Sullivan, and Oxana Cox Belokon.
COVID-19 in Rhode Island
> RIDOH reported yesterday 982 new positive cases prior day (10,421 tests prior day, 9.4% positive prior day), 22 new fatalities, and 444 hospitalizations.
> With an average daily case rate of 122.9 per 100,000 people, Rhode Island leads the country in rate of new COVID-19 cases. According to a Financial Times analysis of data from the COVID Tracking Project, Rhode Island has the highest covid case rate in the world right now.
> Governor Raimondo will host her weekly press briefing to provide an update on COVID-19 on Thursday at 1 pm. We expect the Governor to address the current two-week “pause” in Rhode Island, which is set to expire at end of day Sunday.
Today’s Forecast & Conditions
- Today – A chance of showers, mainly after 2pm. Increasing clouds, with a high near 41. West wind 7 to 11 mph, with gusts as high as 21 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
- Tonight – Partly cloudy, with a low around 35. West wind around 11 mph.
- Today – W wind 6 to 10 kt becoming WSW in the afternoon. A chance of showers, mainly after 3pm. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight – W wind around 10 kt. A chance of showers, mainly before 7pm. Seas 1 ft or less.
- The current water temperature in Newport is 51°F
Sun & Moon
- Sunrise: 7:01 am | Sunset: 4:15 pm
- High tide at 2:18 and 2:39 pm | Low tide at 8:14 am and 8:36 pm
- Moon: Waning Crescent, 23 days, 39% lighting
Happening In Newport County Today
Things To Do
- Christmas In Newport
- 9 am – Talks with Terri #34 with John Marion of Common Cause RI
- 4 pm to 8 pm – Sparkling Lights at The Breakers
- 6 pm – Glitter Tumbler Class at Created Purpose
- 6:30 pm – Virtual Cookbook Club
- 7 pm – Singing For Shelter House Concert: Island Rockers
JPT Film & Event Center Virtual Screening Room
City & Government
- 8:30 am – Portsmouth Prevention Coalition
- 11 am – Jamestown Beavertail State Park Advisory
- 4 pm – Newport Cemetery Advisory Commission
- 4 pm – Newport Cemetery Advisory Commission
- 4:30 pm – Middletown Economic Development Advisory Committee
- 5 pm – Little Compton Harbor Commission
- 5 pm – Jamestown Harbor Management Commission
- 6 pm – Middletown Planning Board
- 6 pm – Tiverton Board of Canvassers
- 6:30 pm – Newport City Council
- 7 pm – Little Compton School Committee
- 1 pm – What’s Up Newp Author Series: A conversation with Edward J. Delaney UPDATE: This conversation has had to be rescheduled. We will provide an update on when the conversation will happen.
- 6:30 pm – Newport City Council Meeting
- 7 pm – What’s Up In Local Music: A conversation with Dan Blakeslee
The Latest From What’s Up Newp
WUN Author Series continues with award-winning author Ed Delaney UPDATE: This conversation has had to be rescheduled. We will provide an update on when the conversation will happen.
For the very latest news and information, visit www.whatsupnewp.com.
Have a tip, story, suggestion, birthday, anniversary, new job, or any other nugget for this newsletter? Get in touch: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We’ll See You Out There
Tis’ the season to get that family photo in front of the @newportlobstershack tree! Posted @withregram • @amanndaleigh_photography The Newport Lobster Trap Tree designed every year by my lobsterman @stewbraman & his mama ????✨????❄️
Tag your photos with #whatsupnewp on Instagram for a chance to see your photo featured here.