via Governor Gina Raimondo’s office
In accordance with a presidential proclamation, Governor Gina M. Raimondo is directing United States and Rhode Island flags at all state agencies and buildings to be flown at half-staff today, December 7, 2020, in recognition of National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day.
“Seventy-nine years ago, 2,400 Americans lost their lives in the attack on Pearl Harbor, devastating our nation and pulling us into world war. We grieve for those killed in the attack and the thousands more who made the ultimate sacrifice for our country. On this somber day – this day that will forever live in infamy – let us recommit ourselves to supporting and caring for our veterans and their families, and to upholding the American ideals they fought to protect.”
Raimondo also asks Rhode Islanders to lower their flags to half-staff as a mark of respect.
More from What's Up Newp
- Dashboard Confessional bringing “Unplugged 2021 Tour” to Mohegan Sun on Saturday, Nov. 13th
- School Approaching and Mental Health First Aid Classes to be held at Elks Newport
- What Sold: 31 Newport County real estate sales, transactions (July 25 – 31)
- Obituary: Timothy E. Carter
- Newport Gallery Night returns on August 12
- Obituary: Belmira Silvia
- Obituary: Jayne Ellen Byam
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 3 Recap and Photos (August 1)
- Obituary: Susan Christie
- Obituary: Eileen Burke