Common Fence Music will present Samoa Wilson, dynamic vocalist and song-stylist, in an online concert on Sunday, December 13 at 7:00 p.m. She will be appearing in her current duo, the Four O’Clock Flowers. The event is free, and all tips go to the artists. A link to the online concert will be provided at commonfencemusic.org prior to show time.
Since she was 12 years old, Samoa Wilson has been captivating audiences with a voice the New York Times calls “sweet, effortless, old-timey.” Music critic Nat Hentoff once wrote that she represents “…the essence of unaffected musical storytelling.” Raised in the riverbed of traditional North American folk music, she came up in the Boston scene, under the wing of jug band and folk legend Jim Kweskin.
Four O’Clock Flowers, her duo with slide guitar maestro Ernie Vega, focuses on a stark and electrifying exploration of gospel, blues and jazz., and has become a staple of the thriving New York City folk community. The duo’s set list is a collection of torchy and honeyed renditions of haunting songs mostly unfamiliar to today’s public. And the songs are sung from a woman’s perspective, saluting the transformation of women’s work and suffering into women’s triumph.
This concert is sponsored in part by a generous grant from the Rhode Island State Council for the Arts. Common Fence Music is a Rhode Island-based 501(c)(3) non-profit arts organization whose mission it is to celebrate and preserve diverse folk music traditions by creating community-based opportunities for cultural exchange.
More from What’s Up Newp
- Opinion – Rep. Carson: High stakes of appropriate coastal management
- Edward King House to serve as a new drop-off site for Meals on Wheels
- Newport resident named new VP & Branch Sales Manager at BankNewport’s North Kingstown branch
- Ticket Giveaway: S.G. Goodman Saturday, Oct. 30th at the Newport Casino
- Nor’easter Update: National Grid responding to power outages
- Update: All restrictions lifted on Newport Pell and Jamestown Verrazzano Bridges
- Got storm photos? Send us your pics by 9PM Wednesday
- Obituary: Molly Falconer de Ramel
- Grey Sail Brewing celebrating 10 years
- LIVE BLOG | Rhode Island cancellations, closures, and delays